Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

60mm or 105 mm Diopter or converter

Started by gassa ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

60mm or 105 mm Diopter or converter

14 posts
  1. Hi.

     

    My name is Gisli and I have problem choosing between 60mm or 105mm nikkor.

     

    I understand you either have to use diopter or converter to have close up focus.

     

    so can I use 60mm with 1.4 or 1.7 converter or would 105 with diopter give same or better result???

     

    Please help me out here!!

     

    I use Aquatica house with D200 camera

     

    All the best

     

    Gisli

  2. Gisli,

    are you talking about a 60 or 100mm Micro Nikkor?

    For this lenses you don't need a diopter as they are close up macro objectives and will give you 1:1 macro photos.

    You may use a diopter, teleconverter or extention tube to et a bigger magnification,

    but more than 1:1 is very difficult to handle under water and/or without a tripod.

    If you are asking about the 60mm or 105mm NON Micro Nikkor, a diopter should work,

    but the corresponding Mikro Nikkor wil provide much better results.

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  3. On a DX camera the 60mm is probably the better choice if you want to shoot it home and away. The 60mm on a DX Nikon is a real sweet spot for fish portraits etc.

     

    But it depends on the conditions. The 105mm is much more useful for super macro - when you add a TC and/or dioptre.

     

    Alex

  4. I'm a Canon shooter so use the 60mm and 100mm Canon glass. My macro port accepts 67mm wet diopters so I use INON UCL-330 and UCL-165s which make the 100mm far more flexible, especially in my turbid UK waters! But I do agree with Alex that a 60mm is the way forward for portraits or the long end of my Sigma 17-70mm.

  5. The newest Nikkor 60mm micro will not autofocus with any teleconverters that I know of but many here have tried a variety of them. Alex covered the rest of the topic.

  6. Alex.

     

    Do you use the 60mm without any...filter, diopter or converter. found the 60mm easy to use, but i wanted to come closer. So I bought 105mm.

     

    But to much water between lens and subject. so I thought of buying diopter...but which one??.

     

    If i ended buying both 60mm and 105mm (MACRO) which diopter should I get?????

     

    Gisli

  7. Regarding the 105mm, I think the duel element diopters like the nikon 5T and 6T lenses (62mm threads) are best (Canon also makes good duel element diopters which will work with Nikon lenses fine since the threads match.) the difference between the 5T &6T is the strength (+1.5 and +2.9). The greater the strength, the closer the lens can focus, meaning the greater the magnification. Nikon no longer produces these diopters though, so you need to buy used (KEH, e-bay, etc) Canon close up lenses are easier to find.

     

    I also have the nikon 60mmD, which already focuses so close to the port that there's really no advantage to using a diopter, but makes an excellent fish lens as Alex stated.

     

    Take care,

    john

    Edited by jarhed
  8. Amazing those photos from ruins in Japan!!!

     

    What does people know about them today??

     

    Gassa

  9. Thanks for looking through the web site, the yonaguni monument dives are unique. some still think that they are possibly a natural formation, but I do not believe that. I understand that they must be at least 2000 - 3000 yrs old to have been above sea level, maybe older (another estimate puts it at around 10,000 yrs old).

     

    After seeing the monument, it is very clear to me that it is at least man modified.

     

    it's well worth a look if you're in the area, but the diving conditions are very difficult. we did live drops into very strong currents and an 8ft chop. seas are warmer in the summer, but winter is the best time to see hammerheads which are fun too.

     

    Take care,

    john

  10. Hi.

     

    My name is Gisli and I have problem choosing between 60mm or 105mm nikkor.

     

    I understand you either have to use diopter or converter to have close up focus.

     

    so can I use 60mm with 1.4 or 1.7 converter or would 105 with diopter give same or better result???

     

    Please help me out here!!

     

    I use Aquatica house with D200 camera

     

    All the best

     

    Gisli

    I would get the 60 macro and add on an external diopter like the Subsee or MacroMate. They mount to the port and can be put in place or not very easily. Of course they work better i.e. more magnification with the 105 but with the 60 you get fish portraits and some supermacro from the same setup on any dive.

     

    Bill

  11. But to much water between lens and subject. so I thought of buying diopter...but which one??.

     

    If i ended buying both 60mm and 105mm (MACRO) which diopter should I get?????

     

    If you can wait until May - you are welcome to try them both and the Sigma 150mm macro - as I'm sure I'll have them all with me when we're diving together.

     

    I use internal (inside the housing) dioptres rather than external ones. I like the Canon 500D most of all. I have one in a 72mm fitting, with a step up ring I can use it on all three lenses (although never have on the 60mm).

     

    Alex

  12. If you can wait until May - you are welcome to try them both and the Sigma 150mm macro - as I'm sure I'll have them all with me when we're diving together.

     

    I use internal (inside the housing) dioptres rather than external ones. I like the Canon 500D most of all. I have one in a 72mm fitting, with a step up ring I can use it on all three lenses (although never have on the 60mm).

     

    Alex

     

    Thanks Alex. I look so much forward to this trip, the route I have already planned is is quite something.

     

    I start buying the 60mm and see where it goes from there!!

     

    Happy new year to everyone

     

    Gassa

  13. One thing not mentioned as yet is the "Woody's Diopter", they are a wet lens that fit over the end of a Macro Port.

    I use and love the Nikkor 60mm AF-S and have recently added a Woody's to my kit. It doesn't make for a super macro

    set-up but does add some magnification and flexibility to an already great lens. They come in 3 different port diameter

    sizes not sure who your regional distributor is but here's a link to them on the Reef website, who I bought mine from.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  14. I much prefer using a teleconverter with a 60mm lens, and a diopter with a longer focal length like the 100mm or 105mm. i'm sure you will figure out your own preferences, good luck!

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.