I moved to FX a few months ago with the D700 and a Subal housing - I already had the D700 for land use and stumbled on a half price housing, which proved irresistible...
I had also bought the Nikon 16-35 for land use and was keen to use it underwater. I am using a Subal FE3 dome and the consensus on WP seemed to be that a 65mm EXR was the way to go and no diopter required. This seemed about right as Subal recommend a 60mm EXR for the 17-35 (the 16-35 is not listed...).
I came back from Mozambique three weeks ago where I used the 16-35 a lot, but was quite disappointed with the corner sharpness. I tried 60, 65 & 70mm EXR's with & without a +2 diopter, but did not see much difference although the 70mm seemed the best.
Then I heard from the Australian rep that Subal recommend a 90mm EXR and +2 diopter....
I was down at Edithburg in SA last weekend for the leafy seadragons and tried the 16-35 with an 85mm EXR and +2, which was better but still not what I would expect from such an excellent lens.
The lens performs excellently above water, so the corner issues seems to be related solely to using it behind the dome.
Don
