Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D7000 - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Started by Deep6 ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

D7000 - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

19 posts
  1. Thom Hogan has posted his D7000 review:

    Thom's Review

     

    This makes a nice addition to Alex's excellent review.

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  2. Good stuff (although only skimmed it) and thanks for sharing.

     

    I am still amazed Wetpixel managed an underwater review weeks before this!

     

    I am still not convinced by Thom's arguments that the D7000 is simply a D90 replacement. The camera has a lot more pro spec in there than any of the D90/D80/D70 (100% viewfinder, 1/320th X-synch, 14-bit A:D, 39 point AF, metal chassis). Thom has been predicting a D400 for ages and so doesn't want to see the D7000 as evidence of a realignment of Nikon models. My suspicion is that Nikon will replace the D90/D300/D700 range with just two cameras, of which the D7000 is the lower one, but the upper one may not be DX.

     

    But this is just a guess and my predictions are wrong more often than Thom's! Also, I know I am biased too - because the pro-features of the D300 over the D7000 have little to no relevance underwater. Buffer, 8FPS and rubber finish being the main ones.

     

    Alex

  3. p.s. this really is a useful review - just re-read the review in a bit more detail and it is packed with lots of really helpful info. Now I just have to buy one of these cameras - if only I had the money!

  4. p.s. this really is a useful review - just re-read the review in a bit more detail and it is packed with lots of really helpful info. Now I just have to buy one of these cameras - if only I had the money!

     

     

    Ditto. Thom's reviews are always very thorough. We should do a poll on whether Nikon will have a successor to the D300s. Pin it up top and see who's right next August. I'm in the camp that thinks Nikon will have a D400 DX. I'm betting on 720p/60fps, compact flash memory cards, faster and tougher than the D7000.

    Edited by johnspierce
  5. Ditto. Thom's reviews are always very thorough. We should do a poll on whether Nikon will have a successor to the D300s. Pin it up top and see who's right next August. I'm in the camp that thinks Nikon will have a D400 DX. I'm betting on 720p/60fps, compact flash memory cards, faster and tougher than the D7000.

    John,

    Thanks for the suggestion. :good:

    and kudos to Alex for the scoop.

    Bob

    Edited by Deep6
  6. Yeah I just can't imagine Nikon giving up on a semipro dx; the D7000 is overall still a step below the 7D, so I think Nikon have to have a model that is as good or leapfrogs the 7D until there's an 8D.

    There's a lot of argument for a pro / semi pro DX camera particularly with the low noise high MP sensor that Nikon now have in the D7000. Better telephoto reach is a big argument for DX for wildlife and sport. A pro DX would cut into the 7D and the DSMKIV market.

  7. Mmmm. I've been really impressed with Thomas' D7000 review, as I have been with Alex's, and I'm not a Nikon shooter...

     

    However, I bought into the DSLR upgrade with the 7D and 'Naughtycam' ( I've always been a Canon shooter right back to the AE-1 ) and I don't regret my investment for a moment.

     

    Inevitably there are going to be housing upgrades and innovations ( from Nauticam ) which may be more relevant to us that the few 'tweaks' that occur between comparative camera models and I expect housing manufacturers will play a dynamic role in this catch up game which Nauticam has proven to do in the improvements and innovations between my first and second NA7D housing...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  8. I'm betting on 720p/60fps, compact flash memory cards, faster and tougher than the D7000.

     

    I'll take that bet...

    They need to do 1080p/30fps AND 1080/60.

    I think it'll be dual SD again.

     

    I think they'll do a D400 just to have a current crop sensor camera with that crazy-buttons-everywhere Nikon user interface. :-)

     

    Cp

  9. I'll take that bet...

    They need to do 1080p/30fps AND 1080/60.

    I think it'll be dual SD again.

     

    I think they'll do a D400 just to have a current crop sensor camera with that crazy-buttons-everywhere Nikon user interface. :-)

     

    Cp

    Better buttons than endless scrolling to most needed settings.

    Bob

  10. I'll take that bet...

    They need to do 1080p/30fps AND 1080/60.

    I think it'll be dual SD again.

     

    I think they'll do a D400 just to have a current crop sensor camera with that crazy-buttons-everywhere Nikon user interface. :-)

     

    Cp

     

     

    My only problem with the SD's is exactly what Thom noted in his review. I had a D90 for awhile and it was not hard to overrun the buffer and then you are waiting for the camera to write the RAW data right when Bigfoot walks by or something.... My D300 and Compact Flash has never had that issue.

  11. I am betting that the D400 will have:

     

    Between 18-20MP

    1080HD same as D7000

    Larger semi pro body like the D300/s

    Dual CF cards or possible CF and SD card slots

    shoots 8fps without battery grip

     

    But how long will you wait until it comes out.

     

    I am happy with my D7000. Waiting for a housing to really try it out!

     

    Regards Mark

  12. My only problem with the SD's is exactly what Thom noted in his review. I had a D90 for awhile and it was not hard to overrun the buffer and then you are waiting for the camera to write the RAW data right when Bigfoot walks by or something.... My D300 and Compact Flash has never had that issue.

     

    Underwater how big of an issue does this get to be? I've never used smtg with a "pro" buffer underwater so wouldn't know what to miss/want. My housing on order already but just to get an idea.

  13. Underwater how big of an issue does this get to be? I've never used smtg with a "pro" buffer underwater so wouldn't know what to miss/want. My housing on order already but just to get an idea.

     

    I've never had the issue underwater either but is that the only place you use your camera? I use my D300 above and below water and when I owned a D90 I had issue with it "taking a pause" every once in awhile to finish writing RAW data to the SD card. Just saying. Compact Flash is still faster than SD. Thom even mentioned in his review the expensive high-speed SD's seemed slower. I don't think this is a deal breaker on the D7000 since it has so many other great things going for it, but it does happen and I am hoping if they do a D400 it has Compact Flash.

     

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  14. OK, you're all convincing me. There will be a DX replacement for the D300. :good:

     

    Alex

    Edited by Alex_Mustard
  15. Hell Alex it must be real painful perched up there on top of that picket fence....

     

    Paul C

  16. If there is a D400, it seems odd marketting wise to release the D7000 first, given how many people are considering getting it rather than holding out for the D400.

     

    Otara

  17. OK, there won't be! :good:

     

    Alex

  18. I think Alex is just bored cos he's snowed in. :good:

    Edited by Drew
  19. I hope you don't my saying I don't want to hear anything about snowed in. :good:

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.