Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Video Salem Express, Red Sea

Started by Ingma ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Video Salem Express, Red Sea

10 posts
  1. Hi

     

    In April 2010 i went one week in Safaga in Egypt. My friend and I dived with our JJ-CCR rebreather. I have a Canon EOS 7D with an Aquatica housing in my baggage. I made, or better I tried, few videos and photos.

    Now I have finally finished a movie about the Wreck of the Salem Express. I hope their enjoy this short movie.

    http://www.ingma.ch/wracks/video-salem-express.html

    Best Regards from snowy Switzerland

    Markus

  2. Awesome Markus,

     

    I always wanted to dive the Salem Express and was soooo close on my Red sea trip but we had to cancel due to bad weather :good:

     

    Cheers

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. I got on that wreck not so long after its sinking and also latterly. One of the sad ones... Anyway! A lovely vid and good to see a 7D front and centre... Well done.

  4. Nice job Markus. What lens did you have on your 7D?

  5. I've dived the Salem a couple of times and I've found it an utterly haunting dive. Seeing all those empty lifeboats with suitcases and belongings spread all across the seabed really sends a chill down the spine. I'm supposed to dive it again next month and at the moment I'm in two minds whether to sit it out or not. Perhaps because it was relatively recent and so many people died, but it affected me more than any other wreck I've dived before.

     

    Markus I'd also be interested in what lens / filters / other settings you were using. From memory its 40m to the sea bed so you were pretty deep at times but from what I saw you hadn't bumped up the ISO too much at all. Well done! :good:

     

    Cheers, Simon

  6. Thanks for your response.

     

    I used following setup:

    Canon EOS 7D with EF-S 15-85

    Aquatica housing with 8" Dome

    2x Tilly-Tec LED 2000 Video with TT1-battery

    no filter

     

    Her two example settings that I used in this video:

     

    Clip @ 1:21 – 1:28

    Av 1/100s

    Tv 13.0

    ISO 500

    Focal width 15mm

    WB Auto

     

    Clip @ 1:48 – 1:52

    Av 1/100s

    Tv 8.0

    ISO 500

    Focal width 15mm

    WB Auto

     

    In the postproduction I do on every clip a WB in my editor software. I cut this video in Edius 5.5.

     

    The camera and housing was borrowed from Unterwasser.at. I have ordered by Manfred a Aquatica housing for my Canon 5D MII. But, the delivery was delayed. So gave me Manfred his equipment for the diving holiday.

     

    Best Regards

    Markus

     

     

    PS: Sorry for me bad English! :good:

     

  7. Thanks for your response.

     

    I used following setup:

    Canon EOS 7D with EF-S 15-85

    Aquatica housing with 8" Dome

    2x Tilly-Tec LED 2000 Video with TT1-battery

    no filter

     

    Her two example settings that I used in this video:

     

    Clip @ 1:21 – 1:28

    Av 1/100s

    Tv 13.0

    ISO 500

    Focal width 15mm

    WB Auto

     

    Clip @ 1:48 – 1:52

    Av 1/100s

    Tv 8.0

    ISO 500

    Focal width 15mm

    WB Auto

     

    In the postproduction I do on every clip a WB in my editor software. I cut this video in Edius 5.5.

     

    The camera and housing was borrowed from Unterwasser.at. I have ordered by Manfred a Aquatica housing for my Canon 5D MII. But, the delivery was delayed. So gave me Manfred his equipment for the diving holiday.

     

    Best Regards

    Markus

     

     

    PS: Sorry for me bad English! :good:

     

     

    Great video! Just curious why you went with ISO 500? From my understanding the noise is less at a native ISO setting even if it is a bit higher (e.g., ISO 640). Have you tried this and compared?

    Edited by mcliffy2
  8. Hi Mcliffy2

     

    Sorry, I don't tried any ISO settings or compared. What I read and understand is as higher the ISO as higher the noise on the picture. But I don't really sure and it's possible what you say.

    When I take movies with my 5D MII then I do following. I take a shutter that is multiple of 1/25. (1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/125,…) This comes from the frame rate of the video. I use 25 fps for my videos. I read that is better for the flow of the video and its looks not jerking.

    I will use an aperture around of 8. Now I look what ISO setting give me a good exposed picture. During the dive I adjust it in a defined range with the aperture.

     

    That's my approach for find my setting for DSLR video. It's possible that's give a better or correct procedure for find the right setting.

     

    Regards

    Markus

  9. Hi Markus

     

    For video shooting 1080p25 always keep your shutter speed fixed at 1/50th. 1/25th can lead to too much motion blurring while 1/100th is in danger of creating a 'strobing' effect (particularly in fact action). The only time you'd shoot 1/100th would be if you were shooting 720p50. ISO works better on the Canons at 160, 320, 640 and even 1250 & 2500 (although personally I'd never go above 640). You actually get less noise/grain and a cleaner image at ISO640 than you do at 500 even though it is a higher setting because ISO's at multiples of 160 are native to the camera while everything else is electronically generated (or something like that but I'm sure Drew or someone can explain it better!).

     

    Cheers, Simon

  10. Hi Simon

     

    Thanks for this information! I will do this on next time when I go diving with my 5D MII. :good:

     

    Regards Markus

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.