Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

G12 housing Ikeltie or WP-DC34

Started by digifotoworld ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

G12 housing Ikeltie or WP-DC34

6 posts
  1. In the process of trying to trim weight (I'm backpacking) and size I moved from DSLR back to a G12 setup, currently in Ikelite housing with TTL strobe DS-51. While it works fine and lighting is great, I was wondering if I could trim even further and maintain the same quality. A WP-DC 34 Canon housing on a Sea and Sea strobe kit YS-01 with Sea Arm VII. How does the Optical slave YS-01 compare to Ikelites true TTL electric setup? I'm a bit concerned that #1 YS-01 relies on my pre-flash (lighting timing and exposure might be off?) #2 Depth rating of the WP-DC 34 vs the ikelite Any thoughts? Thanks

  2. My experience is the wired strobe is a bit more reliable than the optical. How much is hard to say.

     

    The strobes and optical triggers take care of following the preflash, so that is not a concern.

     

    Still, I find maybe 15-20% of the time the strobe does not trigger or gives a bad exposure. And with wired it is more like 5-10%..??

  3. I have a G11 in a Patima housing and a INON D-2000 strobe.

    I can confirm that the G11 and the D2000 work perfectly togetherand i experience no missfires.

    The Canon WP-DC housing is light and cheap, but a lot of people haveissues (leaking nd/or sticky buttons, especially below 45 ft) with it.

    Have a look at the new RecSea or FIX G12 housings, expensive but worth it.

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  4. I have a G11 in a Patima housing and a INON D-2000 strobe.

    I can confirm that the G11 and the D2000 work perfectly togetherand i experience no missfires.

    The Canon WP-DC housing is light and cheap, but a lot of people have issues (leaking nd/or sticky buttons, especially below 45 ft) with it.The Ikelite housing is absolutly the better built housing and you may use it with a slave strobe.

    Have a look at the new RecSea or FIX G12 housings, expensive but worth it.

    Chris

  5. I was on a recent trip to Grand Cayman and my friend used a Fisheye housing for G11 with Sea & Sea YS-01 optical connection. I was so impressed I am planning to cease use of my big Canon SLR Ikelite rig and move to this set up. My friend had a flip down macro lens which is far better than I expected. She was having some trouble with blow out with TTL. I switched her to manual with great results. She merely adjusts F stop and shutter to achieve the right exposure as shooting conditions change. She was shooting single strobe but I would elect to shoot dual YS-01s myself. The Fisheye housing has dual optical ports. The guide numbers on the YS-1 are not that much less than YS-110 so if you are looking for a compact system the Fisheye and dual YS-1 would be awesome. I recently attended a Sea & Sea workshop and the instructor Andy Salmon said he did not see any downside to optical. Actually the usual flood problems occur at the sync cable which is eliminated with a optical connection.

     

     

    In the process of trying to trim weight (I'm backpacking) and size I moved from DSLR back to a G12 setup, currently in Ikelite housing with TTL strobe DS-51. While it works fine and lighting is great, I was wondering if I could trim even further and maintain the same quality. A WP-DC 34 Canon housing on a Sea and Sea strobe kit YS-01 with Sea Arm VII. How does the Optical slave YS-01 compare to Ikelites true TTL electric setup? I'm a bit concerned that #1 YS-01 relies on my pre-flash (lighting timing and exposure might be off?) #2 Depth rating of the WP-DC 34 vs the ikelite Any thoughts? Thanks
  6. How much wieght do you want to save? - in the end I think it would come down to a 100g or so and is it really worth it?

     

    Also once all packed up there wouldn't be much difference in the size / volume - so again I am not sure if there is any benefit?

     

    I would be looking at other areas to trim wieght etc - i.e. clothing etc.

     

    You have a decent set up that is working and you know it - why change (and the added costs) to something else just to save a bit of wieght.

     

    Just my opinion though.

     

    Karl

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.