Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UWCameraStuff - Housing Sentry Review

Started by betti154 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

UWCameraStuff - Housing Sentry Review

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I've just uploaded a product review of UWCameraStuff's Housing Sentry on my site at - http://damiensiviero.com/uwcamerastuff-hou...-sentry-review/

     

    I originally read about the product release on Wetpixel and didn't really find much else about the product. I thought I'd take it full circle and put a review up of my findings.

     

    In short, the solution was extremely easy to install in my Aquatica though perhaps no so either with other housings (ie. you may need to drill a hole in it). The operation is very simple and for most people it's pretty failsale. If you do deep dives like me though (e.g. past 50m), ensuring the plug is always inserted is a must but I don't consider that such a burden.

     

    Whilst not unique in the market (Gate and Hugyfot have similar solutions), the Housing Sentry is a clever design that can be installed in any housing. As I don't like dunk tests and often put my gear through hell (in and out of the water), I'm a big fan of the vacuum seal approach and very much like the positive acknolowdgement of the housing seal integrity.

     

    I've sadly had a flood in the past and feel this would have identified the issue had it been installed before that fateful event.

    Edited by betti154
  2. It looks like an interesting setup but the cost is a bit steep. I see that you quoted $799 plus shipping for the HS when you compare the similar Hugyfot Hugycheck which sells for 295 euro. The Hugyfot system being half the price of the HS system.

     

    Regards Mark

  3. Fair comment on the price. I didn't even know you could get the Hugyfot system as a stand alone unit to be honest. The question is whether it can be installed safely and easily in other housing brands.

     

    After discussions with Bill at UWCameraStuff it became all too easy to install the HS into the spare port on the Aquatica. Personally I wouldn't be drilling a hole into a housing, but it may be an effective solution for others.

  4. Hi Damien,

     

    I can see that it can be an effective solution with those with a housing that has a spare hole in it. I wouldnt be getting the powerdill out in a hurry and adding my own.

     

    I think the cost will hold alot of people back also.

     

    Regards Mark

  5. The Hugyfot is a great system if you have there housing. However I don't believe you can purchase it let alone install it unless you have a Hugyfot housing see the email reply below. I checked this out before we started developing the product. The other alternative is the Gates Seal Check I believe at $1200.

     

    From : Pascal Eeckhoudt <Pascal.Eeckhoudt@leys.be>

    Subject : FW: HugyCheck

    To : mr bill <mr_bill@lycos.com>

    Tue, Oct 27, 2009 11:05 AM

     

    Dear Sir,

     

    Thank you for your interest in our products.

     

    Unfortunately the HugyCheck system is only available for Hugyfot housings.

     

    Vriendelijke groeten / Salutations distinguées / Kind regards,

     

     

    Pascal Eeckhoudt

    Marketing Green Force/Hugyfot

    Tel +32 (0)53 64 72 70

    Fax +32 (0)53 66 27 28

    www.green-force.com

    www.hugyfot.com

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.