Well I've made it up the forum page from the video section so be gentle with me please because I'm not used to these dizzy heights!
I had an Ikelite 7D housing arrive yesterday with an 8 inch dome and port extension. I had a play around and put it all together but was really concerned by a distinct wobble between the port and the housing and the four pin attachment for the port and housing looks astonishingly feeble. I've used SLR housings before and never seen this method of port attachment, but this is the first time I've been hands on with an Ikelite SLR housing. Is this normal? (it certainly wouldn't be on a video housing). Would really appreciate some feedback.
Cheers, Simon
Hi Simon - They all do that Sir.
At first it seems a little worrying and indeed it is perhaps not the best design on the surface.
The seal is a piston type O ring rather than a gasket arrangement and although loose, should be watertight. The water pressure below 2m will clamp the dome to the housing such that it is no longer possible to turn it.
Of course dive the housing empty first time to check that manufacturing tolerances and finishes are all that they should be.
For what it's worth, Ikelite housings now have the four port locks where they used to have two. They are much more secure than they appear, *if* they are actually locked down -- make sure to double-check this immediately before going into the water. Also, take care to not pick up the rig by the port, or set it down at such an angle that the port seal is stressed or broken.
I did have an Ikelite housing flood once. I think the problem was the guy on the boat picked up the housing by the port when he handed it to me. I was just descending as I saw the housing fill up with water
-Gina
Thanks for the info and the PM's everyone. I guess that using the Ikelite on the end of a polearm from a boat is going to be problematic with the way this port attachment is designed.
Coming from a video background I've got to admit that SLR housings all appear to be a bit bizarre. What I don't understand about the Ikelite housing though is that they also make video housings and I doubt if they'd ever even consider using a port attachment like this on one of those. Sure most 'video' housings don't require different ports/extensions because the lenses are not interchangeable but even so using this is going to give me the heebie jeebies for the first 100 dives or so until I know for sure it works!
Once again thanks for the help and info!
Cheers, Simon
Thanks for the info and the PM's everyone. I guess that using the Ikelite on the end of a polearm from a boat is going to be problematic with the way this port attachment is designed.
Coming from a video background I've got to admit that SLR housings all appear to be a bit bizarre. What I don't understand about the Ikelite housing though is that they also make video housings and I doubt if they'd ever even consider using a port attachment like this on one of those. Sure most 'video' housings don't require different ports/extensions because the lenses are not interchangeable but even so using this is going to give me the heebie jeebies for the first 100 dives or so until I know for sure it works!
Once again thanks for the help and info!
Cheers, Simon
One way of gettting rid of the wobble is to draw vacuum in the Ike housing. I have used the sentry recently reviewed in the news section for a number of dives with my Ike housing. When the vacuum is drawn in the hosuing, ports are rock solid connected to the housing, irrespective of flimsy plastic retainers. So solid that back rolls with the housingg in hand from RIBs feel perfectly OK.
Best regards
Bent
Hi Bent
Yes I've used both the Gates 'Seal Check' and the Hugfot 'Hugycheck' system before and loved them. $800 for the 'Housing Sentry' system seems awful expensive, although admittedly it is cheaper than than the Gates system you are almost always looking at way more expensive equipment in a Gates Housing than in an Ike SLR housing. Hugyfot of course include their system for free, which when you look at the cost of the other systems appears to be a bargain.
Cheers, Simon
Hi Bent
Yes I've used both the Gates 'Seal Check' and the Hugfot 'Hugycheck' system before and loved them. $800 for the 'Housing Sentry' system seems awful expensive, although admittedly it is cheaper than than the Gates system you are almost always looking at way more expensive equipment in a Gates Housing than in an Ike SLR housing. Hugyfot of course include their system for free, which when you look at the cost of the other systems appears to be a bargain.
Cheers, Simon
Sure, it is quite a lot of money. However, if you just need to get rid of the wobble, you really do not need the electronics in the system which would reduce the price significantly. I agree on the Hugyfot, despite being somewhat critical to the notion of free inclusions! However, considering total price, the Hugyfot housing with Hugycheck really makes great sense. I have seen some stores pricing the Hugy system individually, and if it is available as a system which can be purchased without the Hugy housings, it is almost unlikely cheap compared to the Gates and the Sentry. However, I am not really sure if it is available, and if it is, if it can be adapted to other housings.
Regards Bent
I had port wobble when I used Ikelite housing. It was especially with the 8 inch dome. I went to my local bearing supplier and sourced some replacement o-rings. The supplier also had some o-rings which were exactly the same diameter as the factory o-ring but the thickness of the o-ring was a fracton more compared to the Ikelite O-ring.
I tried these slightly thicker o-rings (we are talking thousands of a inch thicker btw) and it took away the wobble and never had a problem. Also the o-ring cost was a fracton of the cost of an ikelite o-ring.
Regarding Ikelite o-rings I always lube the port o-ring (any o-ring on a port which needs screwed/turned into the housing) and I never lube the main housing o-ring.
Give it a go and do a camera-less dive with the housing to double check.
Regards Mark
I had an Ikelite 7D housing arrive yesterday with an 8 inch dome and port extension. I had a play around and put it all together but was really concerned by a distinct wobble between the port and the housing and the four pin attachment for the port and housing looks astonishingly feeble.
I will be buying the same thing soon, so good to know.
Is it any less safe because of this?
ie are Ikelite housings more likely to flood over time?
cheers
I will be buying the same thing soon, so good to know.
Is it any less safe because of this?
ie are Ikelite housings more likely to flood over time?
cheers
I recommend following Marks suggestions regarding O-rings. The port O-ring should be kept lubricated to stop the oring buckling when the dome/port body is rotated. This is the number one cause of floods/leaks from my experience. And also, back off on the backing oring lube, because this oring has no chance of chrimping/buckling and the more sticky stuff you have on it, the more chance some nasty bit of sand or junk attaching itself to this oring and causing a leak.
I feel secure using the wide-angle body or a flat port with my Ikelite housing, but when i use any longer body extension on a 8" dome, the potential of flood is always on my mind.
I recommend a leak detector when using a ikelite 8" dome port...it only costs $10 DIY and is a critical early warning system that can save you thousands (not to mention the precious days your without a UW camera while replacing)
I recommend following Marks suggestions regarding O-rings.
I recommend a leak detector
Will do.
Does anyone have the contact info for the leak detector in Oz?
I have one but do not have his info any longer. Googled and got a hit, but think its in the US.
cheers
Will do.
Does anyone have the contact info for the leak detector in Oz?
I have one but do not have his info any longer. Googled and got a hit, but think its in the US.
cheers
Build this DIY leak detector of Andrew Newtons..works a treat and you only need some basic soldering skills.
I recommend a leak detector when using a ikelite 8" dome port...it only costs $10 DIY and is a critical early warning system that can save you thousands (not to mention the precious days your without a UW camera while replacing)
I couldn't agree more that all Ikelite housing users would be wise to use one, having seen first hand Pete's Camera being saved by that $10 bit of circuitry.
Far to much potential for user or handler error with that design. I've only witnessed a handful of floods but all were with Ikelite housings
Cheers,
Jim.
Build this DIY leak detector of Andrew Newtons..works a treat and you only need some basic soldering skills.
PMFJI. but I found something else to be mindful regarding Ikes. The control rod knobs are attached to the rods using hex set screws. If a set screw should loosen sufficiently to allow the knob to detach u/w, water pressure will force the control rod into the housing and a flood ensues... Having had this occur, probably as a result of the set screw vibrating loose in transit, a dab of nut lock is probably a good idea.
HTH, Tim
If a set screw should loosen sufficiently to allow the knob to detach u/w, water pressure will force the control rod into the housing and a flood ensues... Having had this occur,Tim
Are problems like this common with other brands, or just Ikelite?
I have an Ikelite video housing and its all good so far.
Are problems like this common with other brands, or just Ikelite?
I have an Ikelite video housing and its all good so far.
I have been diving extensively with Ikes and have several friends also using Ike. I have met many Ike owners over the years, and as far as I am concerned, this is not a problem. It is a design feature that could turn into a problem, but afaik, it really seldom does. I have never heard of it actaully happening. Also, it is really easy to control for users, as it should be part of a once-in-a-while pre dive control. Worse are push rod circlips failures, which happen now and then, but luckily pressure under water will not dislodge push buttons. The circlips problem is obviously not unique to Ikes.
/Bent C
I also bought a cheap leak detector from an Aussie guy that makes them in Bali. I think i paid like $25 which I think is a very small investment to protect your equipment.