Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

New/1st SLR setup questions (canon 40d)

Started by fatky90 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

New/1st SLR setup questions (canon 40d)

8 posts
  1. Hi there,

    I recently purchased my first SLR along with a used housing, the canon 40d. Originally I was going to buy the canon 17-85mm lens and a port for it but after reading up about it it seems that its not really that recommended for underwater purposes...

    I bought this camera because I'm going to be going abroad to Bonaire in January and as I broke my uw p&s I figured it would be a good time to upgrade.

    SO, now I'm at a dilemna at what lens to buy. It seems that 'all-around' lenses don't really do that well, so I guess I should go either macro or wide angle? I'm on a budget (going for about 650 with port and lens... and I won't be able to afford a strobe) so with this in mind any recommendations?

    thanks!

  2. Macro without a strobe is going to be hard work unless very shallow indeed.

     

    There is an 'all round' lens, ie the Sigma 17-70mm, but make sure you get the right one, the OS/HSM version may not fit in your housing.

     

    Otherwise wide angle would be my suggestion, possibly with a Magic Filter (google it) or the like to help with colours. The Tokina 10-17mm is great for underwater wide angle.

     

    Otara

  3. Otherwise wide angle would be my suggestion, possibly with a Magic Filter (google it) or the like to help with colours. The Tokina 10-17mm is great for underwater wide angle.

     

    Otara

     

    $650 for port and lens is going to be hard. What housing? I agree that a Tokina 10-17 with Magic Filter, given the financial situation. If momey was not an issue, then I would go with a 60mm Macro (or something close to it. I shoot Nikon, not Canon) and get 1 strobe as Bonaire is a great place for Macro.

    Edited by KirkD
  4. Alright so if decided not to snowboard for the rest of winter break and wanted to purchase a macro setup would the 60mm probably be the cheapest option? Or perhaps something like the sigma 50mm. In either case I would only need a flat port which is a little cheaper I believe. And would one strobe (such as the ds51) be good enough? It is the ikelite 40d housing.

    Edited by fatky90
  5. Alright so if decided not to snowboard for the rest of winter break and wanted to purchase a macro setup would the 60mm probably be the cheapest option? Or perhaps something like the sigma 50mm. In either case I would only need a flat port which is a little cheaper I believe. And would one strobe (such as the ds51) be good enough? It is the ikelite 40d housing.

    hi fatky90 ,you would be wasting your money on the ike ds 51 i had that strobe for my compact (before i upgraded to dslr) and it was a waste of money, ended up upgrading to the ds125, you might and i do mean might get away using it with close up macro but when you go to wide angle eg:-tonkina 10-17 it would be useless

    Steve

    Edited by scuba-s
  6. Hi fatky90,

     

    If this is for a trip to Bonaire, I agree that it's a great macro destination. Since you're on a limited budget and putting the system together piece by piece, I recommend buying good quality, versatile components that you can add to over time. The Canon 60mm is a great lens, one you will have for a long time and may never grow out of. You will need a strobe - it will make all the difference and make the pictures much more satisfying. One is fine to start with and if you want Ike, I'd go with the DS-125 - plenty of power, widely available (even used, maybe?) and you can find a mate somewhere down the line.

     

    For wide angle, the Tokina 10-17 is the call, but as you know, you'll then need a dome port.

     

    Have a great trip and take lots of great pics!

     

    Phil

  7. I would agree with Otara, get one lens that will be the most useful multipurpose lens for you considering no strobes. Tokina 10-17 is not a beginner lens IMO and is not great for fish portraits and macro (unless they are big, like sharks etc), for fish portraits and moderate macro the Sigma 17-70 will probably be your best starter lens allowing macro and moderate wide angle and fish portraits, with a Magic Filter if you cannot do strobes. A fixed 60mm macro is a great lens but sounds to me with your limited budget you need more versatility.

    Edited by loftus
  8. If it's your first trip with an SLR underwater, the 18-55 kit lens is worth considering. Not the sharpest lens by anyone's measure and you will soon out grow it but can be got second hand for next to nothing.

    If you can afford a Canon 60mm macro to go with it, so much the better but I would go for a strobe first if you are diving any deeper than 6m.

    Pros, purists and the well heeled will strongly disagree but the 60mm macro will work adequately behind a dome if budget is tight.

     

    2c

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.