Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Opinion

Started by Jasoncassanova ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Opinion

10 posts
  1. I want your opinion about this... I know and I've heard all the things, good or bad, about pelican cases but I've made up my mind and I'm getting one for my gear. My dilemma is that should I get one for both of my G11 and D90 set up or should I get one case for each?

     

    p.s.

     

    arms, strobes, clamps, sync cords, etc. will be shared since both housings will be ikelite.

  2. They are great - but too darn heavy to travel with in Europe - unless you have deep pockets and or love those excess baggage charges that the airlines hit you with.

     

    Paul C

  3. I quess the question is are You planning to travel around with both of You'r setups or not. If You'r takeing both of them on You'r divetrips then I figure it might be easyer to manage one bigger case than two smaller ones.

     

    Just my 2 cents

     

    Cheers

    Karel

  4. Will the G11 housing fit in your carry-on? I'd pack the 2 housings separately in case baggage in lost or delayed. That way you have a good chance of having at least 1 of the housings at your destination.

  5. They are not very efficient, both from a weight and volume standpoint. If you are ever weight restricted on a carry-on, then you could probably carry nothing but feathers in one. The shell and padding consume a lot of volume and all carry-ons are volume restricted (43-45 inches). Find a cheap suitcase that is the max size, i.e. 45 linear inches, (avoid excess compartments) and is the lightest you can find. Then wrap your stuff carefully. I use sealable bubble wrap pouches. Use clothes to fill in any gaps or excess space. I easily get full DSLR housing, flat port, 2 DS125 strobes, chargers, arms, clamps, cords and plenty more using this technique. I used to get the 8" dome, too, but the 9.25" dome just won't fit.

  6. I recently dumped my Pelican cases to go with the LowePro ProRoller x200. It holds EVERYTHING, is carry on friendly and the "guts" come out to make a backpack if need be while the rolling shell can be checked either at the jetway or gate. The x100 would also be a nice smaller option or the ThinkTank stuff is a good alternative.

    http://www.lowepro.com/prorollerx

  7. A lot depends on where you travel. Many international carriers have a carry-on wt limit of 15#. They also are more apt to weigh roll-ons. If you have to check a roll-on it needs to properly protect contents. If you're talking about checked baggage & you can pack a pelican case under 50#, then I'd go for it. Pelicans can take lots of abuse. You can pack differently for US domestic flights where carry-ons can weigh as much as 40-50#, then its more of a size issue.

  8. I recently dumped my Pelican cases to go with the LowePro ProRoller x200. It holds EVERYTHING, is carry on friendly and the "guts" come out to make a backpack if need be while the rolling shell can be checked either at the jetway or gate. The x100 would also be a nice smaller option or the ThinkTank stuff is a good alternative.

    http://www.lowepro.com/prorollerx

     

    hi, this is a good find, may i know what gear/set up you have that you were able to fit in this bag?

  9. hi, this is a good find, may i know what gear/set up you have that you were able to fit in this bag?

     

    I have two Inon Z240s, Canon T2i, Tokina 10-17mm, Canon 60mm, Naticam housing, Zen port, Macro port, a Sola light, zoom ring, optical cables, a bunch of Ultralight stuff, 4 Stix floats, batteries, chargers, cards, manuals and some other nick-nacks. I will be putting my MacBook Pro in the front compartment when I check in at TSA heaven :)

     

    Here is an article from Backscatter and if you look towards the bottom of the page you will see a photo of what they have in one:

    http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=96

     

    And here is a photo from Backscatter:

    lp-36033-pww_3.jpg

  10. I have two Inon Z240s, Canon T2i, Tokina 10-17mm, Canon 60mm, Naticam housing, Zen port, Macro port, a Sola light, zoom ring, optical cables, a bunch of Ultralight stuff, 4 Stix floats, batteries, chargers, cards, manuals and some other nick-nacks. I will be putting my MacBook Pro in the front compartment when I check in at TSA heaven :)

     

    Here is an article from Backscatter and if you look towards the bottom of the page you will see a photo of what they have in one:

    http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=96

     

    And here is a photo from Backscatter:

    lp-36033-pww_3.jpg

     

     

    thanks!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.