Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Another DSLR or Compact question...

Started by Flo1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Another DSLR or Compact question...

6 posts
  1. Hi All.

     

    I'm looking at getting into U/W photography but I'm not sure which way to go.

     

    I currently use a Canon 40D for above water shooting but I don't know whether it is better to house this camera or go with something smaller.

     

    There is so much info around about micro 4/3 like the Panasonic GF1 or compacts like the Canon S95 or G11/G12 and I'm totally confused!

     

    I do a fair bit of shore diving here in Sydney but next year I'm off to Truk Lagoon and I'd really like to be able to capture some nice shots to show my friends and family how awesome that place is!

     

    Is there a noticeable IQ difference between my 40D and other camera's mentioned? Pro's and cons?

     

    Any help would be appreciated..

     

    I'm also sorry if this has been asked ad infinitum!

     

    Cheers.

     

    Flo

  2. I think if you can afford it, housing the 40D will be the better solution. While sensor scores do not tell the whole story, if you look at the DxO sensor rankings, the 40D is far better than any of the compacts like the S95/G12. The SonyNex-5 has quite good sensor ranking but the availability of the Tokina 10-17 for the Canon is a very strong consideration for shooting wrecks in Chuuk. You can probably pick up a good used housing for the 40D here on Wetpixel if you put a want to buy add up.

     

    My 2 cents.

    Bill

  3. I think if you can afford it, housing the 40D will be the better solution. While sensor scores do not tell the whole story, if you look at the DxO sensor rankings, the 40D is far better than any of the compacts like the S95/G12. The SonyNex-5 has quite good sensor ranking but the availability of the Tokina 10-17 for the Canon is a very strong consideration for shooting wrecks in Chuuk. You can probably pick up a good used housing for the 40D here on Wetpixel if you put a want to buy add up.

     

    My 2 cents.

    Bill

     

    Thanks for the reply Bill..

     

    I'm really quite happy with the 40D and I suppose I can live with the weight issue..

     

    Cheers.

     

    Adam

  4. . When I think of photographing shipwrecks I'm thinking wide angle! My advice house the 40d, you wont regrett it.

    Edited by DerekB
  5. Well that's 2 votes for and none against..

     

    Derek, Truk/Chuuk lagoon, big wrecks with good vis and warm water.. I was kinding thinking wide angle too!

  6. I see it a bit different, no doubt that the bigger 40d Sensor and the interchangable lenses give you more quality.

    From my experience with my G11 i think that the difference is visible while looking well and/or

    do a a/b confrontation betwen 2 photos and this is especially true on WA photography.

    Ast the OP not seems to be a Pro photographer and want to show the pix to his friends and families,

    a G11/12 or S90/95 will be far good enough for what he wanna do.

    A EVIL micro 4/3 camera is a nice rig as well, but i have some problems to see their positioning between advanced P&S and a DSLR as

    for example the Olympus is a excellent camera for a cheap price, but has such a big housing that the difference to a dslr housing is not much.

    He should e able to get a 40d Ikelite housing and a dome and macro port and a Ikelite DS 160 strobe for about 300$more than

    a Patima or FIX aluminium housing with a dome port and a D-2000 strobe.

    There are people shooting very nice photos with the FIX S90 housing and the 165° wetlens dome port.

    The biggest pro of a G12/S95 rig is that it fits easily in a carry-on Pelicase or photo backpack,

    making travelling much more easy,while a 40d housing with ports and strobes is difficoult to ring carry-on due it's weight.

    Be advised that the Ikelite housing for your 40d may not allow the internal strobe to pop open, thus eliminating the useof any optical triggered strobes.

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.