Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Scooter/DPV and Video

Started by betti154 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Scooter/DPV and Video

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I've just started shooting DSLR video whilst mounted on a N-19 scooter/dpv, using the SS Video Mount. It's definitely early days for me, though I've found the scooter's mass (although near neutral) helps to stabilise the rig whilst taking stationary shots.

     

    I've only done 3-4 dives with it but I think there is a lot of potential. I originally got the mount to help manage camera logistics on deep wreck dives (50-100m range), but now think it opens up a lot of options than just tec dives.

     

    The biggest issue I have is the negative weight of the camera + lighting. The scooter is neutral, and even the slightest negative weight puts is way out of whack causing issues when scootering (namely scooter wants to nose dive). I'm using sticks arms (6+9") for on camera lights to provide buoyancy. I also switched to the 8" dome (from the 6" - I had both), which provides more buoyancy also). Anyone have any other ideas on how to address the negative trim issues?

     

    Operation wise, I've been holding onto the scooter prop shroud for stationary shots. Seems to provide a nice handle type thing to grip to. Stability under way seems pretty good, as they torque of the scooter stabilises things nice enough though it is hard work at times.

     

    Any comments on the video below are welcome.

     

    ~80m wreck dive, Tokina 10-17mm, 1/30s @ f/3-4; ISO1250 (1600 LED light on camera)

    [vimeohd]17779777[/vimeohd]

     

    Initial test dive, 50m wreck, Tokina 10-17mm, 1/30s @ f/3-4; ISO1250 (1600 LED light on camera, 6000 lumen off)

    [vimeohd]17536193[/vimeohd]

    Edited by betti154
  2. You should call and talk to Rusty at Backscatter. He (and Berkley) have been shooting video on a Dive-X DPV for a bit now. He may be able to give you some pointers. Check their web site and you will see an awesome video they did of a wreck this way.

  3. I've see the Backscatter videos - very cool. Being on the other side of the world I'm not really in contact with them, so haven't been on the phone re: scooter setup. Might be a bit hard of a stretch if you're not a customer I imagine.

  4. I did a video a while back with the Canon 7D and a Magnus scooter.

     

    We didn't figure out a good way to add buoyancy - if we added stix or float arms, the drag they created slowed the scooter down significantly. We just took the trim weights out of the scooter, and dove it that way.

     

    I'd watch the placement of your light - I'd try using a pair and placing them off center if possible.

     

    Here's my attempt with it:

     

  5. thanks for posting, it's a cool video. I'm not too concerned about going fast, so didn't find speed to be a problem. That said, one of the scooter's prime uses for use is to fight strong currents on deep descents, so drag would be an issue in that scenario.

     

    I've wanted to avoid removing the scooter trim weights as I don't want a scenario where the scooter alone is compromised. I can imagine a scenario where the camera gets left behind for whatever reason, so I'd still want a functioning scooter.

     

    We are building two new light heads in an attempt to get the small but powerful lights on camera. I'll probably persist with the 2 x 6+9" Stix arms for now, though I wonder if some purpose built floatation pipes (or similar) might be the way to go instead.

  6. I agree 100% on the weight issue. For decompression diving anyway - the above video is shot is 70 feet of water, so I didn't mind removing the trim weight there.

     

    I just tried to scooter and video in Ginnie Springs - the flow there was up, and with ULCS buoyancy arms and stix floats, it felt like I wasn't moving. Not only that, but it had the tendency to pitch the scooter up.

     

    I'm also using the SS rotating video mount. I have thought about adding PVC pipe, with end caps on the cam band itself somehow. This will provide lift, and being attached to the cam band, it won't be a serious liability to the scooter, as you could cut it off if you had to. If you ran them parallel to the scooter, it might not be too much additional drag.

     

    As far as lighting - for me I plan on using the Sola 1200 video, and upgrading to the sola 4000 when they come out.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.