Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Interested in my first DSLR

Started by Scotttyd ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Interested in my first DSLR

13 posts
  1. I am an average UW photographer with my current nikon p5100 P&S. My wife is taking an photographer (topside) class and we are looking at DSLR cameras. I understand the basics of f-stop, shutter speed, ISO, etc as my current rig has complete manual mode. What I am wondering is, what characteristics should I look for in a good DSLR as I will likely try to find a UW housing for whatever we choose. I am not against buying used if anybody know of a camera/housing that is for sale. I currently shoot with an inon z240 strobe that I would plan on paring with the camera.

     

    Is there a beginners tutorial for things such as, what is the difference between the different lenses? (I have wet WA and macro lenses for my P&S but I do not understand what people mean by 15-85mm lens?) Most of my photography would be WA here in North Carolina, but also the trip to the tropics, so I want a set up that is compatible with macro photography as well.

     

    Thanks in advance

  2. Reading the review here on Wetpixel, I would get a Nikon D7000. Add the Tokina 10-17 for WA and the Nikon 60 mm micro for macro.

  3. Hmmmm.....

     

    I am a confirmed Canon shooter. I prefer their lenses both above and below the surface. I would get one of the more compact DSLRs like the Rebel series. It has all the features you are likely to use and a more compact size and weight for traveling.

    Just my humble opinion.......

  4. I agree, a D7000 with a Tokina 10-17 and a 60 micro will cover most things, and will be compact in a housing. However there are plenty of secondhand high quality rigs for sale at bargain prices (like my Seacam D200 housing, Superdome, S180 viewfinder, macro port, extenders, gears AND camera for $5000) which produces professional-quality files.

  5. Is there a beginners tutorial for things such as, what is the difference between the different lenses? (I have wet WA and macro lenses for my P&S but I do not understand what people mean by 15-85mm lens?)
    You can do a Google search for online sites that will give you basic instruction, but I book that I like (and others recommend as well) is "The Underwater Photographer" by Martin Edge. Make sure you get the Fourth Edition as it is fully updated with DSLR info. This book covers everything from the basics of camera info, to how to choose your housing, to more advanced underwater composition and exposure.

     

    As far as lens stuff, on a film or full-frame sensor digital camera, a 50mm lens is considered to be what the eye sees (i.e. the subject in a photo taken with a 50mm lens will appear just as far away as if you were viewing it with the naked eye). A lens focal length of less than 50 mm (i.e. 15mm) is a wide angle, and subjects appear further away, but you are seeing more of the entire scene (a wider viewing angle). A focal length of greater than 50mm (i.e. 85mm) means your subject appears closer, but you are seeing less of the entire scene. So a 15-85mm lens zooms between a wide angle and a telephoto thus giving you a wide range of focal lengths.

     

    With a cropped sensor digital camera (this includes all P&Ss and most DLSRs) the focal length is about 1.5x greater than a full-frame sensor, so a 50mm lens on a cropped sensor would actually work as a 75mm lens on a full-frame.

     

    I hope this is of some help to you.

     

    -Gina

  6. A second for Gina's suggest of Martin Edge's book. You are about to embark on a truly fun endeavor with a truly absurd price. So better to research more and spend only what you want/need.

    The biggest first step is which DSLR brand to select. Once you buy a brand, you will likely stay with it since the lenses will not switch from one brand to another.

    Similarly with housing brands. Once you start with one, it costs less to upgrade inside that brand due to the domes and ports you would already own. So its worthwhile to research and spend time before the start of purchases. All of the brands can take great photo's so personal preferences and price points are significant for starting out.

    N.C. is not toooo far from Florida. Once you get serious about housings, a visit to Reef Photo in Ft. Lauderdale could allow you to see and handle different housings prior to purchases. And the diving nearby (relatively) at Blue Heron Bridge makes that trip even more fun.

     

    I was on a trip recently where Ikelite, Aquatica and Nexus were all represented. I learned things I liked and did not like about each brand. Seeing those in advance of a purchase might influence your choice.

     

    Each brand attaches the ports/domes differently. Each handles strobe connections differently. Each has a different size and weight for a given camera. None are "right" and none are "wrong" but you might prefer one over another. Easier to learn which you prefer if you see them/hold them in advance.

  7. I would suggest going to a camera store to handle as many different DSLR cameras as possible. Chances are that you and your wife will be using your new DSLR far more for topside photography than underwater. Get a camera that feels comfortable in your hands and at your eye. Get a camera that offers features (such as video) that you will really use and appreciate. And try not to spend extra money buying features (like video if you aren't interested in it) that you don't really care about.

     

    Once you have picked a camera you are really happy with, spend some time shooting with it on land to find out which camera controls and capabilities you use the most. THEN look at a variety of housings to see which housing allows you to use those camera features the most easily. And which housing feel the best in your hands and when held to your eye. A DSLR and a housing is an expensive purchase, and you want to be able to use it for a few years before you start looking for a replacement.

     

    Since you are not an underwater professional, don't get seduced by numbers like megapixels.

     

    Buy a camera system and housing that will allow you to grow with it and not have to spend that money all over again a year or two later.

     

    Fred

  8. Thanks for the info - I think I have one of the earlier edditions of the underwater photographer - Is this the best book for gear selection? I am familiar with composition, settings, etc - (although I can obviously improve with that). It would like something that is compatible with my z240 and use TTL (I currently use an ikelite housing, my camera is TTL compatible, but not my housing unless I use a ikelite strobe).

  9. Hmmmm.....

     

    I am a confirmed Canon shooter. I prefer their lenses both above and below the surface. I would get one of the more compact DSLRs like the Rebel series. It has all the features you are likely to use and a more compact size and weight for traveling.

    Just my humble opinion.......

     

    Allison, I have taken two trips with someone who bought an olympus from you - so I know you have not always been a canon shooter ;-)

     

    a follow up question, lets take a 15-85 mm lens. How would the macro capabilities compare to my current set up if I have two UCL m165m67 stacked? ie. what do I need to get typical macro (not super-macro - I am not good enough yet for that). Someone mentioned a 60mm micro - help me understand why that is considered macro if it is greater than the 50mm?

     

    Also, I have a UWL 100 for wide angle - what would a comparable wa lens for a DSLR be in regards to FOV?

  10. The 60mm Macro differs in the fact that it can focus on very close subject, and Gina's is right about the 50mm being akin to the human eye vision, but it would apply for a full frame camera, to a cropped sensor, a 35mm lens is more like the human eye field of view of +/- 45 degrees (we are talking about a single eye ball here and not both at the same time), in this focal range you ususally find lenses of +/- 50mm to 60mm, some are labelled normal (or standard) lens, a reference to the older days when buying a camera meant you got a standard normal 50mm lens with it, the name stuck, but now such lenses are better referred to as short portrait lenses.

     

    A macro lenses is by defenition a lenses that will give lifesize magnification, meaning, you take a picture of a penny and it will be captured the same size on your sensor (or film for old fart like me :dancing: ).

     

    If you are looking into really close up macrophotography, then maybe you ought to look at either the Nikon 105mm or Canon 100mm as they can be more easily combine with close up lens and teleconverter and still retain a respectable working distance (you do not want to crush your subject. Not good for it, you or for making friends on the boat :D )

     

    In order to get a field of view coverage of 100 degrees (such as your UWL 100) a lens such as the Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 10-22mm or Nikon 10-24mm would be needed, but you can get up to 180 degrees if you want with a full frame fisheye (quite a few of us here use these lenses).

     

    Also there is quite a large repertoire of housings using the optical fiber connection.

     

    here is a range of what lenses are used for what

     

    Fisheyes lenses : usually of 180 degrees coverage but not corrected (distorted picture) Used alot underwater

     

    Super wide angle : usually around the 8mm to 12mm, theses are rectilinear (no obvious distortions visible) used a lot underwater

     

    Wide angle : +/- of the 17mm to 30mm range

     

    Normal : +/- of the 35mm to 50mm

     

    Macro : true macro lenses can be as short as 35mm and as long as 200mm, but in general they will give 1:1 (real size) magnification or more (with accessories such as close up lens, extension tube or teleconverter) used a lot underwater

    Telephoto : usually in the 70mm up, these are from moderate all the way to some radical 2000mm, but mostly are in the 70mm to 300 range (not very useful underwater)

    Edited by Viz'art
  11. Reading the review here on Wetpixel, I would get a Nikon D7000. Add the Tokina 10-17 for WA and the Nikon 60 mm micro for macro.

     

    I would recommend the same.

     

    Kirk

  12. Thanks for the info - I think I have one of the earlier edditions of the underwater photographer - Is this the best book for gear selection? I am familiar with composition, settings, etc - (although I can obviously improve with that). It would like something that is compatible with my z240 and use TTL (I currently use an ikelite housing, my camera is TTL compatible, but not my housing unless I use a ikelite strobe).

     

    Just check to make sure that you can get a housing for your selected camera that will accommodate optical cable. I have Aquatica and really am pleased with it. They have great customer support and Jean is always on Wetpixel answering questions. Definitely have your duck in a row before making the purchase. If you are from the Midwest, OurWorldUnderwater.com is coming up in February and Vendors such as Reef Photo and Backscatter will be there and typically have several housings to look at. Jean with Aquatica last year was hanging around with the backscatter guys to answer questions. Ryan with Reef Photo is typically there and he carries Nauticam that several wetpixel members seem to like. I've never been to Beneath the Sea in New Jersey, but I'm sure these guys will be there as well if you live on the east coast.

     

    Hope this helps.

     

    Kirk

    Edited by KirkD
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.