Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea and sea housings

Started by cmdasia ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea and sea housings

6 posts
  1. I was wondering if anyone has an idea or information regarding Sea and Sea design policy on its future housings?

     

    I am locked into a whole host of C&C ports from my NX80 and had been pretty depressed at the offerings from C&C for DSLRS (D100 and S2) - it seemed their design policy had gone to a "one size fits all" strategy, which would not have been too bad if the base housing they were using was not so physically large and unappealing.

     

    Whilst mooching their site lately I have noticed that they have not adapted the standard box for the DX1DS

     

    http://www.seaandsea.co.jp/products/digital/dx1ds/index.html

     

    or the DX10D

     

    http://www.seaandsea.co.jp/products/digital/dx10d/index.html

     

    Would anyone have any idea/info of intended C&C's direction?

     

    Thanks!

  2. I don't know...those housings look very much like the DX D100 housing I quickly learned to dislike a LOT. (And sold...)

     

    I suspect that Sea & Sea is not going to be a player in the digital housing market unless they change their strategy. For a similar price - you can get an Aquatica housing.

     

    Regards,

  3. what exactly didn't you like about the Sea & Sea housing compared to the Subal you have now?

     

    thx.

  4. I share your sentiment - I am praying that C&C will go back to the something compact akin to the NX80 - it will save me a fortune.

  5. The Aquatica D100 housing with dual strobe bulkhead, leak detector and 2 ports (flat and 8" dome) is LESS than the Sea & Sea housing (no ports, 1 bulkhead) for the D100. Or at least that is my understanding.

     

    In Australia the above Aquatica bundle is certainly cheaper than the Subal housing with no ports.

     

    I don't sea the reason not to switch in this circumstance - especially since the Aquatica system is by all accounts a better product.

     

    I can understand your thinking - I also have a S&S NX80 housing, and this is a superb housing. I love using it. Its small, light, easy-to-use and very nicely finished. I have to say it is the highpoint of the Sea & Sea housing line.

  6. what exactly didn't you like about the Sea & Sea housing compared to the Subal you have now?

     

    Bulky. Difficult to see viewfinder because reg hits back of case - cannot see all of viewfinder in any case. Poor ergonomics - it is difficult to change shutter/aperture without taking your hand away from the shutter release. On mine, many of the rear (plastic) panel buttons ceased to function at 30 feet. Poor support when I sent it back for adjustments, repairs. Long waits, multiple phone calls ("Oh, we found it in back...")

     

    Regards,

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.