Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Re-capture 83 HDV tapes Q2 - Equipment

Started by peterbkk ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Re-capture 83 HDV tapes Q2 - Equipment

3 posts
  1. I recently decided to add a whole lot of RAID disk to my editing system so I can keep my older "good" footage accessible and to reduce the risk that the original tapes will become too obsolete to access in the future. There are 83 such HDV 1080i tapes.

     

    Unfortunately my HDV tape camcorder (Sony HC3) has died with the dreaded "C31:22 Reinsert the cassette error". I've tried the "slap the camcorder with your hand" remedy but to no avail.

     

    So, unless someone has some good ideas about how to fix it, I have no way to read in all these tapes.

     

    The only things that I can think of is to, either (a) get my old HC3 repaired and hope that it works long enough to read my tapes, (b) buy a tape reader device or © find a services company that will read the tapes for me, loading them onto hard disk, or (d) buy a second-hand Sony HDV tape camcorder and hope that it works with my tapes.

     

    As (a) seems like a waste of money, (b) and © sound expensive, I'm tempted to go with (d) buy a second-hand Sony HDV tape camcorder. A second-hand camcorder doesn't even need to be in good condition, as long as it can read the tapes and talk to firewire.

     

    Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

     

    Anyone here have an old Sony HDV tape camcorder that they don't want? I'd take it off your hands for a few bucks and shipping.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  2. I suggest you get a quote from Sony to fix your HC3. I got my Z1P done via Sony Service. They replaced the drum/head and as far as I remember it wasn't too expensive. I used the service centre in Phuket, who send it to the one in New Petchaburi in Bangkok.

     

    Once it's fixed, keep it somewhere dry. I keep tapes, hard drives, lenses etc. in a fridge stuffed with silica gel sachets. The fridge has never been plugged in!

  3. I suggest you get a quote from Sony to fix your HC3. I got my Z1P done via Sony Service. They replaced the drum/head and as far as I remember it wasn't too expensive. I used the service centre in Phuket, who send it to the one in New Petchaburi in Bangkok.

     

    Once it's fixed, keep it somewhere dry. I keep tapes, hard drives, lenses etc. in a fridge stuffed with silica gel sachets. The fridge has never been plugged in!

     

    Good suggestion. Getting a quote wont cost and then I'll know if repair is a viable solution. I'll pop into Sony Service in Orchard Road today.

     

    I do have a couple of large (size of a bar fridge) dehumidifying cabinets where I keep all camera equipment, photo film and tapes at 40% humidity and about 25 degrees.

     

    Regards

    Peter

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.