Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 60 mm lens (old or new version)

Started by Kevster ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 60 mm lens (old or new version)

18 posts
  1. Hi,

    I have been using various P&S cameras for the last 4 years(S70/80/90 &G9)

    I am planning to move to a DSLR set up this year (D7000 & Nauticam or Aquatica housing).

     

    My only concern is macro ability. The G9 with a large focal length was very good in this respect.

     

    I intend to start with the Nikon 60 mm. I would like to avoid buying both the 60 & 105 mm. The 105 mm is expensive & heavy.

    I know both do 1:1, with the 105 better for diopters/TC & has a larger working distance.

     

    My question is regarding the Nikon 60 mm lens & whether to buy the old or new version.

     

    Old- Nikon AF-micro-Nikkor 60 mm f/2.8 lens

    New – Nikon AF-S mirco-nikkor 60 mm f/2.8 lens.

     

    The main reason to buy the old version is that I could use a 1.4x tele- convertor & it is about $200 cheaper.

    I have read that the tele-converter only works with the old version of the lens.

     

    I hope that using the 1.4 TC with the 60 mm will provide sufficient focal length for close up of Nudis.

     

    Is there any reason not to go for the old lens (slower focus, manual/auto focus, focus gears ,port sizes etc).

     

    The nauticam port system has a specific port for the new 60 mm lens but the old lens requires a port+base arrangement.

     

    I would appreciate any feedback.

    Thanks

  2. Hi there,

     

    I use the old 60mm macro lens on a d700 camera with the Nauticam housing. I use the same macro port as the 105mm which is the macro 87 I think it is called.

     

    I use this port so I can attached a 1.4x teleconverter and it works really well. I have no problems with auto focus although at times I chose to use manual focus.

     

    Here is a photo of a nudi that would be around 15mm long.

     

    Hope this helps

    Deb

    post-25736-1294126351.jpg

  3. Many thanks for your reply and the great photo.

    The photo was exactly what I was looking for in terms of what to expect when shooting small Nudis with a 60 mm lens + TC.

     

    If I may, can I ask a couple of further questions

     

    1. Underwater how do you switch between manual & auto focus using the old lens.

    2. Is the zoom/focus gear the N60G-F.

    3. If I get the macro port 87, I assume there is no problem if I just use the 60 mm without the 1.4 TC. This sounds like a very good solution as I would be able to use the 60 mm or the 60 mm +1.4 TC or the 105 mm all using the 1 port. I guess the only problem is the Nauticam 87 port is approx 35 mm longer than the Nauticam 60 port. As the min working distance is small for the 60 mm lens, only 73 mm , the port would be very very close to the subject matter.

  4. ANother consideration, although perhaps minor, is if you want to use the INON insect eye lens at some point. At present only the old style 60mm macro lens is supported by the Nauticam system and it looks like this will not change in the future.

     

    Alex

  5. I never used the 60mm with a TC. I always had the 105mm with me though.

     

    Underwater, there were never any deficiencies with the old 60mm, so saving a few hundred dollars really has no down side. Besides, if you buy a used one at a reasonable price, then decide that the only thing keeping you from taking award winning shots is the difference between old and new lens, then you can always sell the old one for about what you paid.

  6. 1. Underwater how do you switch between manual & auto focus using the old lens.

     

    The older 60mm requires a gear that slips over that little AF/MF selector ring on the lens,

     

    Things to consider: if using the older 60mm with a 1.4x TC, then this will move everything forward about 1/2", this selector gear will not mesh anymore, your focus gear might not mesh depending if you will be focusing via the housing knob or a knob on the macro port, I personnaly have the old 60mm which is on the verge of croaking and would not buy another one, actually I am leaning very, very much toward the Nikon 85mm macro as a replacement.

  7. ANother consideration, although perhaps minor, is if you want to use the INON insect eye lens at some point. At present only the old style 60mm macro lens is supported by the Nauticam system and it looks like this will not change in the future.

     

    Alex

    The newer lens is of an entirely different (and in many ways less versatile) optical design which is probably why the older style lens is supported and the newer one isn't.

  8. The older 60mm requires a gear that slips over that little AF/MF selector ring on the lens,

     

    Things to consider: if using the older 60mm with a 1.4x TC, then this will move everything forward about 1/2", this selector gear will not mesh anymore, your focus gear might not mesh depending if you will be focusing via the housing knob or a knob on the macro port, I personnaly have the old 60mm which is on the verge of croaking and would not buy another one, actually I am leaning very, very much toward the Nikon 85mm macro as a replacement.

    On occasion I will use the old 60 micro. I haven't used ith with a TC and I don't really need MF. It is plenty fast; even with small semi-transparent critters suspended the the water column at night (focus light). In general I perfer the 105. If I were to replace it, I like Jean's suggestion of the 85 - more working distance than the 60 has & the angle of view of the 105 on an FX.

     

    Jean, why not do the heavy lifting for us and test the 85 mm macro? Your nickel not mine :dancing:

     

    Bob

  9. Jean, why not do the heavy lifting for us and test the 85 mm macro? Your nickel not mine

     

    When the 60mm goes R.I.P. I will! :dancing: all I have in the next few months is Ice diviving on the agenda, not much macro involved I'm affraid, hopefully someone can beat me to the punch this time. :D

  10. Here's a shot with the 85macro on a D90 (uncropped):

    771328254_CvJKC-M-1.jpg

     

    I only got to do a couple of dives with it, but found it to be a very useful fov and working distance.

     

    Cp

  11. Here's a shot with the 85macro on a D90 (uncropped):

     

    I only got to do a couple of dives with it, but found it to be a very useful fov and working distance.

     

    Cp

     

    Same here, it is just the right ingredient for me, in any case it beat using a 60mm with a 1.4x TC anyday

  12. Many thanks for your reply and the great photo.

    The photo was exactly what I was looking for in terms of what to expect when shooting small Nudis with a 60 mm lens + TC.

     

    If I may, can I ask a couple of further questions

     

    1. Underwater how do you switch between manual & auto focus using the old lens.

    2. Is the zoom/focus gear the N60G-F.

    3. If I get the macro port 87, I assume there is no problem if I just use the 60 mm without the 1.4 TC. This sounds like a very good solution as I would be able to use the 60 mm or the 60 mm +1.4 TC or the 105 mm all using the 1 port. I guess the only problem is the Nauticam 87 port is approx 35 mm longer than the Nauticam 60 port. As the min working distance is small for the 60 mm lens, only 73 mm , the port would be very very close to the subject matter.

     

     

    Hi,

     

    Firstly, I can't switch between manual and auto focus. What I do is set the focus before diving and while diving just rock back and forth till it is in focus. I don't have a focus gear so not sure if the N60G-F is the one. You wouldn't be able to use the gear with the 1.4x teleconverter on it as it won't mesh as stated by others on this forum.

    You can use the 60mm with Macro 87 port however because of the extra length of the port the lens does get some corner darkness. I found this a bit annoying and hence purchased the teleconverter so I could use the 2 lenses in the same port.

     

    sounds like the 85mm would be a good option as well

    Hope this helps.

    Deb

  13. Can the 85mm be used with a 1.4TC and/or is it practical to use with a Macromate/Subsee diopter?

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  14. You would need a gear on AF-M selector ring on the old-style 60mm Micro-Nikkor ONLY IF you need to be able to switch from auto-focus to manual focus underwater. If you only need to "freeze" the auto-focus, you can do this easily by using the MF-AF control on the housing. Start with the MF-AF switch in AF posiiton to focus on the subject at the size you want it to be in the frame. Then switch to MF to prevent any further auto-focusing as you shoot. And move the camera slightly if the subject moves to maintain focus and framing.

     

    NOT having the AF-S focusing of the newer 60mm lens means the older lens does not whiz past the intended focus point as easily as does the newer lens. This problem seems to be especially frequent when you work at the higher magnifications and may be even greater when using a tele-converter. I have both the old 105mm and new 105mm for my D700 and have found that in most situations I prefer the older, slower auto-focusing, version of the lens. Which is best for your own uses you will have to decide.

     

    Fred

    Edited by divegypsy
  15. The only problem I would have with the 85mm vs. the 60mm is the f/3.5 max aperture as opposed to f/2.8. Not so important if you are doing super small subjects and using a diopter or TC and will be using a smaller aperture, but important for fish portraits, no?

     

    JP

  16. It would have been more dramatic in the ealier camera body on which touching the ISO was a NoNo, but the average camera can easily handle the extra 1/2 stop even at the base ISO, IMO it is not an important factor for fish portrait, the longer focal lenght might prove to be a bigger hurdle as you will need to back up more than you would with the 60mm and introduce more water in betwenn you and the fish. I rarely use the 60mm anymore as I found that i rarely did 1:1 with it (too close to the subject for comfort), I now preffer to grab the Sigma 17-70mm for fish portrait and since that lens does 1:2 already I found I don't miss the 60mm, if I want macro I go for the 105mm, which is also getting old so the 85mm would be a suitable replacement for both, at least in my case. down the road if I want longer working distance I might just end up getting a Sigma 150mm Macro, then you're in another zip code :)

  17. The only problem I would have with the 85mm vs. the 60mm is the f/3.5 max aperture as opposed to f/2.8. Not so important if you are doing super small subjects and using a diopter or TC and will be using a smaller aperture, but important for fish portraits, no?

     

    JP

    My vastly depreciated $0.02: The 1/2 stop slower 85 mm is not important. I use the 60 & 105 lenses in the f/8 to f/16 range. With ISO settings from 100 to 200 and strobes, there is no need for max. apt. and the lenses are too narrow FoV for wide angle. 3.5 in the view finder is still usable and I have a focus light available on my rig.

    Bob

  18. My vastly depreciated $0.02: The 1/2 stop slower 85 mm is not important. I use the 60 & 105 lenses in the f/8 to f/16 range. With ISO settings from 100 to 200 and strobes, there is no need for max. apt. and the lenses are too narrow FoV for wide angle. 3.5 in the view finder is still usable and I have a focus light available on my rig.

    Bob

     

    Well, I have to disagree with you. I just went in and reviewed my "fish portraits" from the last dive trip and 6 out of 10 shots with my 60mm were done at f/2.8. When I'm using a diopter I use a smaller aperture since depth of field is so significantly reduced, but for let's say, a Moorish Idol, Angelfish, Eel, Lobster, trunkfish etc, etc, the 60mm at F/2.8 is wonderful. If you are shooting against a blue water background a smaller aperture is fine, but the additional background blur and bokeh at F/2.8 is noticeable and appreciated in those "against the reef" portraits in my opinion.

     

    Of course, I have about 10,000 shots where I used F/8 and the reef is so damn sharp and busy you can't even see the fish! I really should pay more attention :)

     

    cheers,

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.