Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

DSLR for a novice

Started by gman ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

DSLR for a novice

6 posts
  1. Help, i would like to buy a DSLR for my husband with underwater capablities. I have read your posts and articles, etc and my head is spinning. What is a good entry level DSLR with a not too expensive housing-we are recreational divers and photographers. should be easy to use and I guess about $1000. thanks for the input.g

  2. Currently, there is only one digital SLR available under $1,000 and that is the Canon digital Rebel.

     

    If you plan to use the camera underwater, you should really consider the cost of a camera+housing+ports, not just the price of the camera.

     

    Here are two housings that have been announced for the digital Rebel:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2dslr_300d.html

     

    d300top.jpg

     

    http://wetpixel.com/archives/00000151.shtml

     

    aquatica300_3.jpg

     

    So far as I know, only ONE person has ever used this camera underwater (Dave Haas) but he seemed quite happy with it.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Digital Reb +kit lens + Ikelite + dome port +strobe arm +strobe is not going to leave much change from US$3000. This is the cheapest housed option for a DSLR, and it's one of the options I'm considering. I do like the look of the Aquatica above, but presume it'll be more than the $1200 Ikelite are going to charge for their housing.

     

    If you looking to spend $1000 all up, you're looking at digital rebel in a EWA-marine soft plastic housing, which is what I've done (with a 10D), but not necessarily what I'd recommend. Personally, I'd buy an Ike housing today if they can make one that actually fits a 10D into it (doh!). Looks like I'm diving with a plastic bag until at least Febuary at this stage.

  4. Gman,

     

    As James Wiseman states I believe I'm the one lucky person to have shot with the Canon Digital Rebel underwater, so far. The review of the PROTOTYPE Ikelite housing for Wetpixel is at:

     

    http://www.wetpixel.com/reviews/ike300_haas/

     

    The photos were all taken with the standard "kit" lens behind Ikelite's #5503 dome port, no diopter needed since this little lens focuses less than 1 foot. The production version of the housing addressed the M mode button problem and I think you'd be really happy with it.

     

    Oh, I liked the Canon Digital Rebel so much I bought one! You can alos see 2 other galleries taken with a Nikon D100 at my link below.

     

    David Haas

    Haas Photography Inc.

    4596 Greenlawn Drive

    Stow OH 44224

    330-678-0591 Phone/Fax

    330-329-5981 cell

    dhaas@megsinet.net

     

    http://www.pbase.com/dhaas

  5. thanks for the replies-been reading lots and think the rebel is the way to go-even better, if I am reading this correctly, my EOS lenses will fit on it topside. We took some great (amateur) shots in the Caymans with a very small digital so I know those would be fine, but he wants to do a lot of topside photgraphy so really wants the SLR.

    Does the housing allow for a strobe, got a little confused on that.

    I found the rebel kit for $899. should I keep looking or is that about the best I'll get.

    Love all the images on this site.

    g

  6. G-woman,

     

    Yes, your EOS lenses will work w/ the d-Rebel. Yes, you can connect a strobe to the housing using a sync cord and the bulkhead connector on the housing. You will only be able to control the strobes using manual power though - which isn't that hard.

     

    Cheers

    James

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.