Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish

Started by Mehmet Gungen ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish

16 posts
  1. I shot the photos of a Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish at 30meters.

     

    Since the location was quite deep i made all the shots with strobes.

     

    Even though the photos are clear with good focus and the clown fish are normally exposed the anemone which was gloving with very bright red color looks like an ordinary one.

     

    Due to the depth I think that it probably is not a suitable case for filters. Even if i could catch the bright color of the anemone the fish probably would be either underexposed or blurred.

     

    Is there any advice you could provide?

  2. I shot the photos of a Red fluorescent anemone & clown fish at 30meters.

     

    Since the location was quite deep i made all the shots with strobes.

     

    Even though the photos are clear with good focus and the clown fish are normally exposed the anemone which was gloving with very bright red color looks like an ordinary one.

     

    Due to the depth I think that it probably is not a suitable case for filters. Even if i could catch the bright color of the anemone the fish probably would be either underexposed or blurred.

     

    Is there any advice you could provide?

     

     

    Yup, I've seen those in PNG and they never come out as bright as my eye sees them. Most other flourescent colors do the same thing, in my experience. Oh, well.....

  3. As I understand it, the fluorescence is the result of light refraction from existing ambient light. It doesn't actually glow, and you would not be able to see in the dark. Hence, the strobe overpowers and washes it out.

  4. As I understand it, the fluorescence is the result of light refraction from existing ambient light. It doesn't actually glow, and you would not be able to see in the dark. Hence, the strobe overpowers and washes it out.

     

     

    If this is the case, filter photography using the ambient light should be the only way to capture it.

  5. Even shooting without a filter and shooting raw at a high enough ISO to get a good exposure at reasonable shutter and f-stop would be worth trying.

     

    Just need to shoot all ambient.

  6. Maybe not the same variety of Anemone that you have been discussing, but similar in colour.

     

    iso 100

    1/160

    F11

    With strobes

     

    60mm Canon

     

    Stew

    post-5742-1295731842.jpg

    Edited by stewsmith
  7. That is a coral, Stew. But nice color on it with the strobes anyways.

     

    Regards

     

    Bent

     

    Maybe not the same variety of Anemone that you have been discussing, but similar in colour.

     

    iso 100

    1/160

    F11

    With strobes

     

    60mm Canon

     

    Stew

  8. My poor attempt at that anemone

     

    w108_3739.jpg

  9. Gorgeous shot Allison!

  10. I decided to try getting the real color of that anemone during another dive after I posted here.

     

    I had a wide angle lens and magic filter when we were diving there with a different route. I had chance to get down to that location with around 2 minutes non deco bottom time.

     

    I spent almost half of it trying to make custom white balance however my D200 failed. Than I decided to shoot and making white balance afterwards. (with this purpose i shot my hand too)

     

    I took several shots while the anemone fish absolutely not be corporative and swimming elsewhere instead of being in front of the anemone till the end of my non deco bottom time.

     

    Even though the attached photo is far from being an example of a good composition the color of the anemone is totally the same as it looks there at ~30meters. It is shot without any strobes. Even The fish is with underexposure while anemone glowing there has a contrast with surrounding objects.

     

    I think it would be possible to get a good shot with a new generation SLR with higher low ISO performance and with a macro lens with a magic filter on.

     

    On the other hand i think the anemone fish would still be underexposed if the exposure shall be based on anemone :-/

    post-5430-1298749507.jpg

  11. That is a coral, Stew. But nice color on it with the strobes anyways.

     

    Regards

     

    Bent

    plate coral isnt it?

  12. Yes. Fungia.

  13. Hi All,

     

    I am trying to capture red vs green fluorescence but am having trouble with having the red come through. I am using a canon G11 equipped with a 530 nm long pass filter and a strobe with 475 nm excitation light. Any hints on how your guys get such great shots of the red fluorescence?

  14. To get the best result with the anemone you have to use your strobes.

    i shoot little underexposed to protect the colors , some time when you shoot,

    the bright/strong colors (red,yellow,pink...) can burn and torn over saturation...

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=221...3408&type=1

  15. Mehmet, stunning shot! Absolutely wonderful. Who cares if the clown fish is underexposed?!?? The anemone is just beautiful!

     

    Great job!

    Don

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.