Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Backup Drive Problem

Started by loftus ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Backup Drive Problem

4 posts
  1. I have been Backing up to a 2TB Fantom Drive using Carbon Copy Cloner for a while now with no problems. Recently I started to get a message that the task did not complete as the drive appears to unmount during the process. I have tried a new USB cable, and a new ESata connection and the same problem occurs. Is this a sign that the drive is dying or any other ideas.

    When I reconnect the drive or restart the backup the drive seems to remount on the desktop.

  2. Could be a power supply problem?

    Alex

  3. Could be a power supply problem?

    Alex

    I will check that, but I have not noticed the drive power light going off at all.

  4. Recently I started to get a message that the task did not complete as the drive appears to unmount during the process.

     

    ....Is this a sign that the drive is dying or any other ideas.

     

    Maybe.

     

    I'd do a couple of things.

     

    1- Backup the data onto another disk as soon as possible.

     

    2- Do some manual tests, manually copy a large portion of data over and back again just to rule out the software, but it looks like a disk problem if it's unmounting.

     

    One possible cause is that the disk is overheating, then unmouting itself. I had a 1tb Passport and that did a similar thing. It would read and write up to a point then unmount. I took the casing off and it ran fine for a couple of months then it started failing again. Luckily I got most of my stuff off it.

     

    To really protect your data you need to start having a RAID solution. As more and more of us now are relying so heavily on digital storage, the devices themselves just don't perform as flawlessly as one would hope. Just google HD failure!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.