I recently ordered an Ikelite 8" dome and a port body for a fisheye lens. I wanted to see it on my housing right away so quickly assembled it without adding the silicon lube or checking to make sure there weren't any hairs on the o-rings (so I can't be sure if I can trust the seal). When I tried to remove the port body from the dome, it was stuck. I have tried with my hands and also with a strap wrench I got at Home Depot, but there just isn't enough area for the strap wrench to grip to. The only reason I want to remove it is so I can make sure the seal is good before actually using it. I could test it in in a plastic bin full of water, but I don't know if I could trust that for higher pressures. So any advice on removing the port body from the dome?
- 13Posts
- 13Replies
Read-only discussion
Ikelite 8" Dome stuck
-
-
I recently ordered an Ikelite 8" dome and a port body for a fisheye lens. I wanted to see it on my housing right away so quickly assembled it without adding the silicon lube or checking to make sure there weren't any hairs on the o-rings (so I can't be sure if I can trust the seal). When I tried to remove the port body from the dome, it was stuck. I have tried with my hands and also with a strap wrench I got at Home Depot, but there just isn't enough area for the strap wrench to grip to. The only reason I want to remove it is so I can make sure the seal is good before actually using it. I could test it in in a plastic bin full of water, but I don't know if I could trust that for higher pressures. So any advice on removing the port body from the dome?
Use the rubber strip on the strap wrench as a pad to push on the flange of the port. It usually doesnt take that much to undo them, its doing it without ruining your fingers thats the tricky bit.
Otara
-
I recently ordered an Ikelite 8" dome and a port body for a fisheye lens. I wanted to see it on my housing right away so quickly assembled it without adding the silicon lube or checking to make sure there weren't any hairs on the o-rings (so I can't be sure if I can trust the seal). When I tried to remove the port body from the dome, it was stuck. I have tried with my hands and also with a strap wrench I got at Home Depot, but there just isn't enough area for the strap wrench to grip to. The only reason I want to remove it is so I can make sure the seal is good before actually using it. I could test it in in a plastic bin full of water, but I don't know if I could trust that for higher pressures. So any advice on removing the port body from the dome?
You can very carefully use a relatively soft piece of wood as a pry bar between the housing and the back of the port. The strap wrench should be able to go around the flanges on the port and maybe you can twist it a bit. Can you turn it at all with the strap wrench?
Bill
-
Cut a piece of wood into a short U shape so that the stalks of the U will fit around the port body and into the two gaps. Use some foam and tape to soften the contact points between the wood and the port body. The basic idea is to use this homemade, u-shaped tool to twist the port body off. (You're right: There's very little space on that port body to wrap a strap wrench.) I had to make such a thing a few years ago, and it worked like a charm.
-
I assume that you have the port / dome removed from the housing?
-
yes it is removed from the housing. When I try putting the strap wrench on there, when I try to tighten it or twist it, it slides right off. The main body of the dome blocks the wrench from getting lower on it so I think that helps the rubber slip off.
I will check at work tomorrow to see if there is any scrap wood I can use for the U shaped tool. I personally don't have the tools to cut the wood, but I know they would in another department in which I have many friends. Thanks for the idea.
-
yes it is removed from the housing. When I try putting the strap wrench on there, when I try to tighten it or twist it, it slides right off. The main body of the dome blocks the wrench from getting lower on it so I think that helps the rubber slip off.
I will check at work tomorrow to see if there is any scrap wood I can use for the U shaped tool. I personally don't have the tools to cut the wood, but I know they would in another department in which I have many friends. Thanks for the idea.
Take the port to Sears and try using the biggest strap wrench they have. Then buy the wrench that does the job!
There are several sizes of strap wrenches available, and Ikelite even provides one with the 8" dome port. (At least they did with mine.) I found that one too small for really tight situations but my larger strap wrenches worked just fine.
-
I use one of those rubber disks made to help remove jar lids. It will help get a grip on the body.
-
My 6'' dome comes easy off while wiggeling and pulling at the same time and i see no reason why the 8'' dome should stuck so much...
As far as i remember (my housing is home in Italy), the ikelite o-ring work on compression coming from the conic shaped border of the dome and
the 2 or 4 latches.Turning the dome with (brute) force around may pinch/elongh the (dry) o-ring may lead to subsequent leaks.
I find the idea to use a band wrench or any other tool quite scary and would ask Ikelite about that issue.....
Chris
-
chris,
they are talking about the way the port body sits to the 8" dome, not the body to housing connection. Ikelite recommend using a plastic strap wrench for that. As in all things, one should tighten it but not over tighten it. Maybe that has been the case with this very stubborn port body.
-
Upps, Sorry, i missinterpreted the question!
I belived that the 8'' dome is a complete unit as the 6'' and i did not got sospicous that
all the "cracks" here suggested to use a band wrench what should be a clear sign that
there is a reason for using a wrench.
Chris
-
I found a set of nice strap wrenches at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch...;q=strap+wrench
Strangely enough the smaller one slips off less than the larger one. Having someone assist you is also a good idea.
-
I use a U-shaped piece of wood for the fisheye port body and strap wrench for all longer port bodies.