Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

What kind of glue to use?

Started by Patterns ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

What kind of glue to use?

4 posts
  1. Never being one to let well enough alone, I am thinking about attaching a bracket directly to the top of my housing, and dispensing with the traditional camera tray. BTW I would try this out on my soon-to-be-retired housing before I try anything on the new one.

     

    The thickness of the PT-015 housing at the top seems to be similar to the bottom (where the camera tray normally attaches) so I think the housing should easily be strong enough for this, provided the glue I use is actually strong enough to do the job and won't crack if the housing flexes very slightly under 4 bar pressure.

     

    Any suggestions as to what sort of glue (or resin or whatever) would be best for this? I know there's some pretty strong stuff out there but I don't know what it is! But as long as the glue is as strong as the material of the housing it should be strong enough. Otherwise the attachment at the base wouldn't be strong enough either. Unless I missed something.

     

    There's an open patch of plastic (or whatever it is) about 5.5cm x 2.5cm on top, so potentially I have about 12 square cm of bonding surface. Assuming I can bend the metal to something like the shape of the curve of the housing, of course. The glue will need to be able to bridge the gap if the surfaces don't match exactly.

     

    If you think this is a really bad idea you'd probably better tell me that as well ... :D

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    -David

     

  2. The glue question doesn't matter any more, 'coz I had a better idea. Similar concept to the rig I used for the Manado trip, only lighter and better of course!

     

    Also not so many holes to be drilled. :D

     

    Now all I need is a chance to try it out (along with the new strobe).

     

    -David

  3. The glue question doesn't matter any more, 'coz I had a better idea. Similar concept to the rig I used for the Manado trip, only lighter and better of course!

     

    Also not so many holes to be drilled. :D

     

    Now all I need is a chance to try it out (along with the new strobe).

     

    -David

    Hi David,

    I'm also using the PT-015 and read about your idea of fixing a bracket directly to the top of the housing. Sorry, I can't really imagine at the moment, do you have already a photo of your new construction?

    Cheers

    Matt

  4. Hi Matt

     

    The new rig doesn't use the "bracket attached to the top" idea at all. It's all packed away for tomorrow (when I depart for Puerto Galera once again) but I will try to remember to take a photo of the setup while I am away.

     

    -David

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.