Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

CS5 on a macbook?

Started by Captain_Caveman ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

CS5 on a macbook?

10 posts
  1. I've got a copy of PP CS5 that was gifted to me. It sounds great reading about it, but I only have a humble macbook, 2gb, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and not enough space to run both apps.

     

    I *Just* make minimum specs for CS5.

     

    I have Final cut suite working pretty well at the moment after a long time of getting the settings and tweaking it. I'm a bit afraid of blowing it away and installing CS5 if it's gonna run like a dog or worse than FCP7. I will eventually be getting a MB Pro, but not for a while yet.

     

     

    Any thoughts?

  2. Install it, see if it runs. If not, run the uninstaller.

    steve

  3. I believe PP CS5 requires a 64bit kernel to run. You need to find out from Apple whether your computer can run in 64bit mode. If yes, you can easily add RAM to 4GB and get a bigger drive to fit both programs in. That's shouldn't cost too much.

    The best thing about PP CS5 is native H.264/AVCHD editing. Now if that doesn't work, I wouldn't bother about dumping FCS. Since your MBP is limited to 4GB ram, there's no advantage in running in 64bit mode for ram access anyhow.

    First ensure the computer will run PP CS5, testing for native editing of H.264. Then think about whether it's worthwhile switching and learning a new system just for native editing.

  4. I believe PP CS5 requires a 64bit kernel to run. You need to find out from Apple whether your computer can run in 64bit mode. If yes, you can easily add RAM to 4GB and get a bigger drive to fit both programs in. That's shouldn't cost too much.

    The best thing about PP CS5 is native H.264/AVCHD editing. Now if that doesn't work, I wouldn't bother about dumping FCS. Since your MBP is limited to 4GB ram, there's no advantage in running in 64bit mode for ram access anyhow.

    First ensure the computer will run PP CS5, testing for native editing of H.264. Then think about whether it's worthwhile switching and learning a new system just for native editing.

     

     

    hmm, thanks Drew.

     

    I've gotten used to converting everything to 422 anyhow.

     

    Over and above native H264 support, you reckon that there's not much point in binning FCS?

     

    I think I may wait until I get a beafier machine, I don't want to throw away what I've got as it's all working sweetly.

     

    Thanks

  5. We're all use to things but doesn't mean it's the best way to do things. I've used FCS for years but switched to Adobe because it edits certain formats natively. Saves time and hassles. Learning a new system can be easy or hard depending on the person.

  6. Is this why my older Macbook Pro crashes ocasionally with CS5?

     

    Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"

    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2

    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

    Number Of Processors: 1

    Total Number Of Cores: 2

    L2 Cache: 4 MB

    Memory: 3 GB

    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

  7. John,

    Are you talking about Photoshop or Premier Pro CS5?

    Photoshop CS5 will run 32 bit but definitely crashes more; that's why I'm very pleased that all my plug-ins now are 64 bit so I no longer need to run Photoshop CS5 in 32 bit mode

    Is this why my older Macbook Pro crashes ocasionally with CS5?

     

    Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"

    Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2

    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

    Number Of Processors: 1

    Total Number Of Cores: 2

    L2 Cache: 4 MB

    Memory: 3 GB

    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

  8. John,

    Are you talking about Photoshop or Premier Pro CS5?

    Photoshop CS5 will run 32 bit but definitely crashes more; that's why I'm very pleased that all my plug-ins now are 64 bit so I no longer need to run Photoshop CS5 in 32 bit mode

     

     

     

    I am running CS5 on a Macbook Pro. You definately will need atleast 4GB of ram for it and thats minimum. I am in Cozumel and can show you in the next week or two? PM me and I'll bring my MB over when I come over for cenotes.

  9. I am running CS5 on a Macbook Pro. You definately will need atleast 4GB of ram for it and thats minimum. I am in Cozumel and can show you in the next week or two? PM me and I'll bring my MB over when I come over for cenotes.

     

     

    Thanks!

     

    I took the plunge and binned FCS and installed CS5. So far so good.

     

    The H264 footage drops straight onto the timeline, adds effects without rendering, or shall I say it plays back without the need to render, but the render bar pops up at the top.

     

    I've added a sample 10 clip piece added a different dissolve to each one, P2P and page turns and it still plays back. Pretty impressed so far.

     

    One thing I don't like on the outset is the UI, it's so dark and depressing compared to FCP. I've not read the manual yet (ahem, as if I will.) so it's early days.

     

    So far so good. I have 4Gb (my mistake)

     

     

     

    MK2, I film in the Cenotes, where are you going?

  10. I have both FC Studio 3 and CS5 running on my older Mac Book Pro with 4 gigs ram. No problems but I rarely use anything in CS5 other than After Effects.

    Steve

     

    ps. Take me to the Cenotes. Its on my bucket list of things to do.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.