Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Use of wet diopter

Started by Yoav Lavi ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Use of wet diopter

6 posts
  1. (subsee or macromate) on a dome port - is it possible? have anyone tried it?

  2. I doubt there would be any point. Have you got a particular idea in mind?

  3. I doubt there would be any point. Have you got a particular idea in mind?

     

    Yes. I use sigma 17-70 as my regular lens in ikelite 6" dome port, and I am not happy with the "macro" capabilities of this setup. I was thinking that a subsee might improve things.

  4. Yes. I use sigma 17-70 as my regular lens in ikelite 6" dome port, and I am not happy with the "macro" capabilities of this setup. I was thinking that a subsee might improve things.

    Since the image in the domeport is virtual and the goal of the wet diopter is to increase magnification of the real image, I think it will be problematic. I don't have my lens software handy but at 70 mm if it worked the same as on a flat port (the assumptions are wrong for easy calculation though) you would get negative magnification at the short end of the lens and about 1.3:1 at the long end if my back of the envelope is correct.

    Bill

  5. Yes. I use sigma 17-70 as my regular lens in ikelite 6" dome port, and I am not happy with the "macro" capabilities of this setup. I was thinking that a subsee might improve things.

     

     

    I have a lot of respect for the Subsee, its a great piece of gear, just not the right tool for the job at hand, do you have a close up lens on the lens itself at the moment (Ikelite suggest using a +2) this alone would allow the lens to focus closer than it is at the moment.

    Edited by Viz'art
  6. I guess it is more about using the lens within it's limitations. You'll never be able to get supermacro with it but I found it very good for small subjects in their environments.

     

    On the same dive at Ras Mohammed, I was able to take this at the 17 end

    4763463527_6ee5deec75.jpg

     

     

    and this at the 70 end

    4763460053_7944accd27.jpg

     

    This second shot shows as much magnification as I was able to get using the lens and as close as I could get without harming the marine environment. The real beauty of this lens for me is the close focusing, I don't think that adding another diopter to get closer focusing would have been beneficial in this case as with the large dome I wouldn't have been able to approach the subject any further in any case.

     

    (these were taken with a 7D and the older 17-70, non-HSM lens behind an 8.5 inch acrylic dome)

     

    My humble advice then is to ignore anything very small when the 17-70 is on and work within the limitations of the lens.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.