Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

PC Backup

Started by loftus ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

PC Backup

8 posts
  1. Is there a PC equivalent to Carbon Copy that I can create a straightforward bootable backup with daily incremental backups?

  2. Is there a PC equivalent to Carbon Copy that I can create a straightforward bootable backup with daily incremental backups?

     

     

    I like Cobian backup for Windows. It will do full or incremental backups, can be scheduled, can run as a "service". It can even FTP files to an offsite server as a backup.

     

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

  3. I like Cobian backup for Windows. It will do full or incremental backups, can be scheduled, can run as a "service". It can even FTP files to an offsite server as a backup.

     

    http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

     

    I use Cobian aswell. I'm not aware of any backup software that will give you straight up bootable media/HD, since all the messy boot sectors, MBR and such. I know back in the days you could clone disks with Ghost (think Norton/Symantec have bougth that software now?).

     

    /Björn

  4. I use Cobian aswell. I'm not aware of any backup software that will give you straight up bootable media/HD, since all the messy boot sectors, MBR and such. I know back in the days you could clone disks with Ghost (think Norton/Symantec have bougth that software now?).

     

    /Björn

     

    I haven't personally used this, but Lifehacker had an article on EASEUS Disk Copy which appears to make a sector-by-sector backup:

     

    http://lifehacker.com/400615/easeus-disk-c...your-hard-drive

     

    I'm a dual user of Win7 and OSX and this is where you have to give "props" to OSX and Time Machine for making it dead simple to transfer an entire working OS from one disk to another.

  5. Is there a PC equivalent to Carbon Copy that I can create a straightforward bootable backup with daily incremental backups?

    I use Acronis Home. Very fast ... and I've successfully restored from backup several times - usually to increase the capacity of my system drive.

     

    (Hey Jeff! ... been SUPER busy building a new business ... )

  6. Hmmm...... I don't want to mess with sectors etc, I only run one simple business statistics program on the PC, would just love to have something that if the drive crashes, I simply boot from the backup drive and move on. I have Ghost, so I think I will create a mirror drive so that if and when the drive dies at least I will not have to reload the system software etc, and then just do simple backups of the one file that I use for the stats program. Does that make sense?

  7. Hmmm...... I don't want to mess with sectors etc, I only run one simple business statistics program on the PC, would just love to have something that if the drive crashes, I simply boot from the backup drive and move on. I have Ghost, so I think I will create a mirror drive so that if and when the drive dies at least I will not have to reload the system software etc, and then just do simple backups of the one file that I use for the stats program. Does that make sense?

     

    Yeah ... the incremental back-ups would be trickier, but that would work.

  8. I use the Acronis product as well Jeff and would recommend it.

     

    Cheers

    James

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.