Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need stiffest open foot fin on the market

Started by Poliwog ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Need stiffest open foot fin on the market

13 posts
  1. Does anyone know of a very stiff, light weight, open foot, adjustable strap fin that I can use for my dive travel kit?

     

    I recently upgraded my wetsuit boots to the Oceanic "Neo classic" from the basic Bare boot, and that in turn required me to upgrade my fins as well.

     

    I had been using the Wenoka "Sea Style" open foot adjustable fin (no longer manufactured as far as I know), which I like very much because of the power and speed I can generate with them. The problem with them now is that they have an extremely narrow foot pocket which the Oceanic "Neo Classic" dive boot will not fit into. I purchased a set of Oceanic "Viper" fins to solve the foot pocket problem, but find that they are way too flexible for my liking. I usually end up overpowering them very quickly and feel like I'm just "spinning my wheels" so to speak.

     

    The Wenoka "Sea Style" fins that I had been using previously for at least the last 10 - 15 years allow three stiffening ribs to be inserted into the fin to make them very stiff and powerful (they are as flexible as a wooden board with the three stiffing ribs inserted and can cramp your legs up if your not careful with them), but I like them and have not been able to adjust to a more flexible fin.

     

    An old motorcycle accident injury precludes me from considering anything but an open foot adjustable strap design, so full foot fins are out of consideration for me.

     

    Thanks.

  2. Does anyone know of a very stiff, light weight, open foot, adjustable strap fin that I can use for my dive travel kit?

     

    I recently upgraded my wetsuit boots to the Oceanic "Neo classic" from the basic Bare boot, and that in turn required me to upgrade my fins as well.

     

    I had been using the Wenoka "Sea Style" open foot adjustable fin (no longer manufactured as far as I know), which I like very much because of the power and speed I can generate with them. The problem with them now is that they have an extremely narrow foot pocket which the Oceanic "Neo Classic" dive boot will not fit into. I purchased a set of Oceanic "Viper" fins to solve the foot pocket problem, but find that they are way too flexible for my liking. I usually end up overpowering them very quickly and feel like I'm just "spinning my wheels" so to speak.

     

    The Wenoka "Sea Style" fins that I had been using previously for at least the last 10 - 15 years allow three stiffening ribs to be inserted into the fin to make them very stiff and powerful (they are as flexible as a wooden board with the three stiffing ribs inserted and can cramp your legs up if your not careful with them), but I like them and have not been able to adjust to a more flexible fin.

     

    An old motorcycle accident injury precludes me from considering anything but an open foot adjustable strap design, so full foot fins are out of consideration for me.

     

    Thanks.

     

     

    You'll not spin your wheels in a pair of Jetfins.

     

    They may be a bit heavy though.

  3. I would second the cressi frog recommendation

  4. Hi Guys,

     

    Thanks for responding to my post.

     

    I do have a pair of Jet Fins, and while they powerful, they are also very heavy for travel purposes. I just upgraded to a new lightweight BC and fear the extra weight of the Jet Fins would negate any reduced weight benefit from the BC that I just purchased.

     

    The Cressi sub Master Frog fins look more like what I am interested in for a powerful lightweight travel fin.

     

    Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.

  5. I cant believe nobodys mentioned them yet,

    Force fins will fit all your requirements, I use them and love them!! they take a bit of getting used to though

  6. Check out the OMS Slipstreams - 5.4lbs w/springstraps dry weight. Not sure about exact buoyancy u/w, I would guess about -1 to -2lb range. Foot pocket will work well with hard sole boots.

     

    http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?...MSSLIPSTREAMfin

    +1. OMS SlipStreams. Looks just like Jet fins, but notably lighter, so much better for travel. (as long as you don't need a heavy fin for trim)

  7. http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/group_.../star_fins.html

     

    We've just finished a newer test with fitter younger divers. Uncannily, I personally recorded the same speeds with the fins that feature in both comparison tests despite the time difference. The latest test will not be on-line until April.

    Edited by John Bantin
  8. I like the Aqualung Blade II with stainless springs. I find them very stiff and great for travelling too.

     

    I dont understand why you need to do speed tests on diving fins...? We dont speed around when we dive so I see the speed test pointless.

     

    I like fins to be comfortable and have plenty of power when you need it.

     

    regards Mark

  9. I like the Aqualung Blade II with stainless springs. I find them very stiff and great for travelling too.

     

    I dont understand why you need to do speed tests on diving fins...? We dont speed around when we dive so I see the speed test pointless.

     

    I like fins to be comfortable and have plenty of power when you need it.

     

    regards Mark

     

    I would guess the speed test is to show how powerful they are, for use against currents?

     

    Force fins!!!

  10. I like the Aqualung Blade II with stainless springs. I find them very stiff and great for travelling too.

     

    I dont understand why you need to do speed tests on diving fins...? We dont speed around when we dive so I see the speed test pointless.

     

    I like fins to be comfortable and have plenty of power when you need it.

     

    regards Mark

     

    How else would you measure the efficacy of a fin? Suggestions are always welcome. By the way, Blade II are discontinued.

  11. Thanks John, your dive fin test results were interesting to read.

     

    I just returned from diving in Roatan with a pair of the Cressi Master Frog fins. I like the stiffness of the fins and have decided to use them as standard equipment in my dive kit.

     

    In addition to being a very stiff long fin, I found them to a wide fin as well. I kept thinking I was colliding with another diver with my fins but soon realized that I was not accounting for the increase in width of the fin when moving through the water column. Another minor difference I encountered was on the dive boat, with such long fins, it is easy to get entangled with the fins of other divers when space is limited on the boat.

     

    These fins fit the bill very nicely for me, but keep the suggestions coming. I'm always looking for ways to improve the quality of my dives.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.