Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

First try at video (Sony CX550) on Vancouver Island

Started by davehicks ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

First try at video (Sony CX550) on Vancouver Island

3 posts
  1. My big dive trip for the second half of the year was a visit to Browning Pass by way of Nanaimo. Our group headed up to Nanaimo for a weekend of diving before moving on to God's Pocket up in Browning Pass for another 5 days of diving. Nanaimo is always fun with the some major wrecks and great wall dives. I return every year to Browning Pass, constantly blown away by the amazing color and density of life.

     

    O this trip I made my first attempt at shooting video. I put together a video rig consisting of a Sony CX550 HD video cam, a simple Ikelite housing, and a Nocturnal video light. It was a bit of a learning curve, but I was pretty happy with the results. Editing the clips and compiling a short video turned out to be pretty simple. It's a bit of a change coming from years of shooting stills, and I still have a lot to learn.

     

    I had a bit of a leak after the first day in Browning Pass, which turned out to be user error. No damage was done however, but I switched to Photos for the rest of the trip. So most of my video is highlights from Nanaimo with just a few shots from Browning Pass.

     

    Here is the trip video I put together with highlights of the trip.

     

    [vimeohd]17985083[/vimeohd]

  2. Vis looked to be decent. Glad you are having fun with your new toy!

    Edited by wolfeeldiver
  3. Vis looked to be decent. Glad you are having fun with your new toy!

     

    It was a great trip with pretty darn good water conditions. I need to force myself to put my D300 aside and shoot more video for the next few months.

     

    Dave

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.