Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsay vs shark finning

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Celebrity Chef Gordon Ramsay vs shark finning

16 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Earthy UK celebrity chef, Gordon Ramsay, has been featured in a program entitled "Shark Bait" which went to air in the UK last Sunday night. Aiming to "expose" the practice of shark finning, he does, I think succeed in raising the issue with people who had never considered the problem before. Channel 4 viewers on a Sunday night is a different demographic from the normal watchers of programs like this. He also persuades a group of restaurant owners to stop serving shark fin soup in London-by showing his footage.

     

    Due to copyright, I can't embed the film, although it is available on YouTube. This is certainly the case in the UK.

     

    If anyone can find a version of it that is embeddable, please add it below!

     

    Adam

    Edited by adamhanlon
  2. Good on him, shark finning is a truly disgusting, repugnant practice.

  3. Please do not embed any copyrighted material without permission from Channel 4. Any copy on the web will be illegal, since Channel 4 has its own streaming service which restricts overseas viewing due to licensing issues (they have to make money selling the program to various broadcast outlets.)

  4. I just watched the program. It's great that the issue is being raised to UK viewers and hopefully it will galvanize support for the EU initiative to close out the loopholes and cut shark fin supply by up to 20%.

     

    Then this being Ramsay, whose programs, like his restaurants are more hype than substance, I have to say, the man has a real potty mouth! That whole publicity buzz about his life being in danger was, of course, hyperbolized to get viewership. There was no gunpoint scene shown and the "gasoline" pouring from the roof could've been just waste water.

    Then there's the almost sanctimonious attitude about the "barbaric" finning scene, saying "we" butcher in our kitchens but not to that extent. Yet everyone of his restaurants serve foie gras etc. The use of shock in showing the finning process on a live shark to quell demand and also the restauranteurs is very effective. However, to claim moral high ground is something that will never work because NO ONE has totally clean hands.

    Overall, a lot of f&s bombs, combined with a bit of exposé journalism with a big helping of Ramsayisms, the program should get people talking at least.

  5. No embed, but linky linky for USA-viewable version:

    Edited by Drew
  6. Today I found out while planning photo and video dives this week that the remainder of the bull sharks in Playa Del Carmen have been wiped out and finned sometime near the end of Dec. The first group of about 20 were fished in late Oct. Good to see Ramseys take on it because people arent taking this seriously and its just sickening that a culture is wiping out an entire species to show their "Wealth"!

  7. Good program, great cause... Doesn't really matter how it's put together or if it is hyped a bit, as long as it gets the message across that's all that matters ...

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  8. How apropos to my "clean hands" comment. However, a reformed celebrity would help the cause in Europe and make for more interesting headlines. Look at Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen! Nobody can say they are guilt free. Even I have tasted shark fin as a kid, which may explain the brain damage :P.

    Still, I'm not sure if programs like this are better for the Ramsay types or the cause. The publicity for Ramsay is probably more immediate since it's obvious his core market is where his restaurants and TV shows are most popular. Whereas shark finning's frontline is Asia. There's been movement to get a big Asian celeb to do something similar. It's tough to get the equivalent of Madonna to walk around the streets of asia without someone creating a media storm and ruining the piece.

  9. I am really disappointed in him...

  10. I am really disappointed in him...

     

    maybe he had a change of heart sometime between the fishing trip and the shooting of the video. after all, it says the trip happened a year before he'd began thinking about making the documentary.

  11. I would like to point out that

    while divers are more ecologically aware of the marine environment aren't they

    just being a bit hypocritical at the same time? I lead many groups of divers

    around the world, the great majority on liveaboad vessels, and guess what the

    number one entree's are for both lunch and dinner? Seafood, always seafood

    with maybe some chicken or beef on the side. Most charter boats have their

    own ship applications including within, the guest's food preferences.

    Whenever I fill one out I always say 'no seafood'. If we are to preach about

    the need to conserve our marine life than we need to walk the talk. I know

    that there are many species of fish that are not on a published endangered

    list but how are these fish caught without much 'by product' fish and/or

    damage to the coral? How many dolphin, turtle, shark, and other species need

    to be killed while the long lines and nets wreck further havoc upon both

    protected and unprotected sites. The last time I led a group to the Cocos

    Islands of Costa Rica, a World Marine Heritage site, I aborted several dives

    simply to pull up freshly laid long lines replete with an abundant number of

    brand new hooks. With only one small boat and 3 crew members to protect the

    island from long liners and shark finning operations, they were completed

    outnumbered by the 19 fishing vessels on our boat's radar. I am leading

    another group back there this August and wonder how much line I will be

    bringing up this time.

    I admit, I can be a hypocrite as well as I do love the occasional tuna

    sandwich from Subway, but it is not often.

    Sadly, the push towards more ecologically sound practices will never

    change when faced with cultures whose culinary heritage relies upon seafood.

    However, the least we could do is to stop our dive destination resorts and

    liveaboard craft from consistently placing seafood as their number one entree.

    Steve

  12. Thanks for sharing. Very disturbing but it's good to see a celebrity trying to make a difference.

  13. Cheers to Gordon!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.