Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Physically small intervalometer

Started by scottleslie ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Physically small intervalometer

11 posts
  1. Does anyone know of a particularly small intervalometer that works with the 7d? I have to do underwater time-lapse in the Bay of Fundy this spring and am hoping to find one small enough to squeeze inside an Ikelite housing with the camera. I have one of the TC80 knock-offs from China (which does work great), but it's too big to fit. I may have to remove the plastic housing and just use the electronic "guts" from the thing if I can't find something smaller. Thanks.

  2. Does anyone know of a particularly small intervalometer that works with the 7d? I have to do underwater time-lapse in the Bay of Fundy this spring and am hoping to find one small enough to squeeze inside an Ikelite housing with the camera. I have one of the TC80 knock-offs from China (which does work great), but it's too big to fit. I may have to remove the plastic housing and just use the electronic "guts" from the thing if I can't find something smaller. Thanks.

    If you have some soldering skills, go to

    http://cms.diodenring.de/electronic/microc...ntervalltimerv2

    and take a look. It is the size of the connector to the camera

    Bill

  3. I may have to remove the plastic housing and just use the electronic "guts" from the thing if I can't find something smaller. Thanks.

    That's what I ended up doing - not very elegant but it works.

  4. That's what I ended up doing - not very elegant but it works.

     

    Thanks Paul. It looks like the least risky thing to do given the potential problems a firmware hack might cause.

  5. Hey Paul, I have a few questions for you if you have a moment:

     

    1. How did it work for you?

    2. Obviously you would have to set it before you close the housing, how did you control it?

    3. Does the trigger button control when it starts and stops?
    4. Has anyone tried Magic Lantern's TL?

     

    I have 3x 7d's that I would like to experiment with, but I would like a more secure method with my 1DX. Thank you ahead of time for any information you can provide.

  6. Here's another small DIY unit (perhaps not as small as the one Bill linked), especially out of the case. I was lazy and emailed the designer for a prebuilt; he does have those periodically. And for out of the water these do a lot more than just intervals. http://doc-diy.net/photo/smatrig21

    Edited by rtrski
  7. I'd go with Magic Lantern. Yes, there are risks, however has anyone ever heard anything ever going wrong (when using just timelapse)

     

    And yes, I've used it on a 5d mkii

  8. I would also use Magic Lantern. I have used stable releases and nightly builds

    on a 550D and never had a problem. Moreover, I think it is far more convenient

    to be able to set all your timelapse parameters from the camera controls, instead

    of using a circuit board that you will probably fire as you close the housing.

     

    Regarding 1D-X, you will probably need to go for an external circuit as there is

    no "hack" or firmware overlay.

  9. Hey Paul, I have a few questions for you if you have a moment:

     

    1. How did it work for you?

    2. Obviously you would have to set it before you close the housing, how did you control it?

    3. Does the trigger button control when it starts and stops?

    4. Has anyone tried Magic Lantern's TL?

     

    I have 3x 7d's that I would like to experiment with, but I would like a more secure method with my 1DX. Thank you ahead of time for any information you can provide.

    1. Worked fine on a 5D2

    2. Yes preset it and accept some 'blank or irrelevant images'

    3. On the Canon intervalometer its the 'start' button I think (I'll have to dig it out from the box its stored in if you want me to check, but its fairly obvious).

    4. I haven't - looks like others have.

  10. Excellent, thank you for the responses. Great White, that looks like a nice sized alternative for the 1dx/1dc in the Nauticam housing. There is a good amount of space where the hotshot is.

     

    I would use Magic lantern but as Lionfish said, there is no hack and Canon has threatened it's full legal capability for anyone who tried to hack the 2 cameras. To me that's a little fishy, with a heat sink and the software being a $7000 difference. I will use the ML for the 7ds. It seems like there could be a fairly easy way or DIY inclosed housing for a small device that ran outside the housing to a controller. I'm no engineer, but if a monitor can be done, why not a 2 or 3 button intervalometer. I'll have to check into this.

    It would be nice, as a Canon shooter, to be able to do time-lapse with an internal intervalometer. I don't understand what Canon is thinking at this point. They are so cheap and way cheaper than Canon's $140 TC-80N3. They have the same controls and they are wireless too at a price of $20-30. Canon should ditch it, add it internally, and add it to the Camera cost.

    Thank you Paul. There is no need to dig it out. If anyone has a link to their underwater TL, I would love to see it. I will comeback when I find my solution.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.