Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Lembeh octopus

Started by Bent C ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Lembeh octopus

5 posts
  1. Here is an octopus from Lembeh. The picture is from approximately 5 meters of water on a reef. No sandy area in the vicinity. Anyone?

     

    post-6658-1295544736.jpg

     

    Regards

     

    Bent

  2. To me it looks like an octopus I recently videoed in Lembeh, which I have been informed is probably an Abdopus aculeatus. I do not know if it has a common name. we have been calling it a Shaggy Octopus. It can change colour very rapidly to match it's background, and can 'grow' hairs to complete it's camouflage. We see them from time to time, but usually on sand.

     

    Link to video

    Edited by liquidguru
  3. To me it looks like an octopus I recently videoed in Lembeh, which I have been informed is probably an Abdopus aculeatus. I do not know if it has a common name. we have been calling it a Shaggy Octopus. It can change colour very rapidly to match it's background, and can 'grow' hairs to complete it's camouflage. We see them from time to time, but usually on sand.

     

    Link to video

     

    Thanks. That sure could be it. It did some impressive changes between smooth and hairy, and I also got the idea of a hairy octopus, which it obviously wasn´t. Maybe next time.

  4. I also have video of what I think is one of these from Lembeh. I'm calling it a "spiny octopus" (aculeatus means spiny or prickly, as used in spiny eel, spiny anteater etc.).

  5. Humann and DeLoach call this "algae octopus" in their recent Tropical Pacific Reef Creature Identification guide and a few websites have now picked up on that name, so that's what I'm now using as the common name.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.