Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Who is using a Macbook Air 13"

Started by johnspierce ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Who is using a Macbook Air 13"

6 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    I am thinking about a new laptop and will likely wait until I see what Apple releases in April to replace the Macbook Pros, but I'm wondering, is anyone out there using one of the new Macbook Air models for their travel PC. In particular, how does it run using Lightbook, Aperture, iMovie, etc. I have a fast desktop at home, so I don't do the full edit job on my laptop, but I do review and sometimes create quick slide shows and movies when on a dive trip.

     

    I just love the thin profile and less than 3lb. weight of the new AIR, so I'm thinking the Macbook Air 13" with 2.13ghz 4gb/256gb should be a pretty sufficient travel laptop, but would love to hear from anyone currently using that setup.

     

    thanks,

    John

  2. I use it but mine is over 2 years old now and very handy, obviosly the spec is a lot less than that, but its great, it can hang now and then but no great problems, it takes up the same overall space as a 10" netbook that I used to have but the 13" is a hell of a lot better

  3. I have that exact setup for a photography tech startup I just got involved in, and I love it. It is definitely slower than my 2.93Ghz MBP w/discrete graphics, but for Lightroom, Photoshop and iMovie, it's totally fine. No problems at all.

     

    I do miss having Firewire and a large 1920x1200 screen, but that's the obvious tradeoff to shave half the weight off.

  4. I just upgraded from the previous 13" MacAir to the new 13" model and it is dramatically faster. It works fine for Lightroom editing and the battery life is 2-3x the old MacAir. I only got 2 GB of RAM and it runs fine, but would likely get 4GB if I were to do it over. That being said, with 2 GB of RAM it is plenty fast running lightroom. I have no experience with movies so I can not speak to how a MacAir does with more intensive video requirements.

     

    The 11" MacAir is great too as my daughter has one, but I wouldn't want to run Lightroom on it due to smaller screen space.

     

    Steve

  5. My wife has that setup. 13", 256GB SSD, 4GB memory. It's very spiffy. Slower than my MBP, but not bad at all. It would be faster than a disk based MBP I think.

  6. FWIW here are some benchmarks.

     

    113832-macbook_air_2010_speedmark.jpg

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.