Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon 450d focus problem

Started by LancerSA ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 450d focus problem

7 posts
  1. Hi, Please can someone help me, I am at my wits end.

    With the canon 450, when it comes to focusing, one has to either look through the view finder ( which is difficult with a mask ) OR use the live view. The problem I am having is in live view, one needs to hold down the FE lock button to focus, recompose and then shoot. This is so difficult with surge etc and the focus is not perfect.

    Is there anything else i can do ?

    Thanks very much

    Lance

  2. What housing are you using.

     

    Stew

  3. I am using a housing made locally by Marlin Marine Photographic equipment.

     

    What housing are you using.

     

    Stew

  4. I am not too sure how the likes of Ikelite etc housings work, but when shooting on land the only options one has to focus is looking through the view finder - or live view. How do you focus with your 350 as there is no live view available ? My friend has a 350 and he just looks for the red dots to appear when focusing, but this seems to me to be a tad archaic. i want to be able to press halfway, recompose and then take the pic - but when you can't see the scene through the view finder... I dunno.

     

    thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

     

     

     

    I am using a housing made locally by Marlin Marine Photographic equipment.
  5. A properly aligned/designed viewfinder should allow you to use a mask and see what you're shooting. Live view in DSLRs are only good for static objects in calm conditions. Maybe try a lower volume, black skirted mask. Lets you press your eye up close to the viewfinder. If you're still having issues, ask the designer if a magnifying finder from any of the big manufacturers (Aquatica, Inon, Nauticam, S&S) will fit.

     

    S.

  6. I think the problem might lie with the design of your housing. As mentioned the view finder should be ok to look through, the advice about a black skirted mask is a good point. I have a scubapro frameless and it is spot on. Having said this, it does take a bit of practice, especially if you are in swell and surge. I would try and get in a swimming pool and do loads of practicing and getting your focusing issues sorted out. It will come, its just a matter of practicing. Have you tried your friends set up to see if you can get to grips with his. The 350D doesn't have live view, my 5D MK2 does but I do not use it. I use the view finder. The only time it is an issue with any rig is when you are shoot in very low positions such as on the sand in Lembeh.

     

    Keep working at it.

     

    Stew

  7. Thanks Guys - I appreciate your input. I always thought that the live view was the way to go. At least I now find out that I was wrong. I will try from the view finder itself.

    Thanks again.

    Lance

     

     

     

     

    I think the problem might lie with the design of your housing. As mentioned the view finder should be ok to look through, the advice about a black skirted mask is a good point. I have a scubapro frameless and it is spot on. Having said this, it does take a bit of practice, especially if you are in swell and surge. I would try and get in a swimming pool and do loads of practicing and getting your focusing issues sorted out. It will come, its just a matter of practicing. Have you tried your friends set up to see if you can get to grips with his. The 350D doesn't have live view, my 5D MK2 does but I do not use it. I use the view finder. The only time it is an issue with any rig is when you are shoot in very low positions such as on the sand in Lembeh.

     

    Keep working at it.

     

    Stew

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.