Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Photographing pygmy seahorses- a question

Started by Damo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Photographing pygmy seahorses- a question

4 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    Hope to get a few images of this beautiful little fish this year...and I know they are very small..hence the name.

    Just want to know would I get away with using a 105mm Nikon macro lens to photo this little guy- or do I absolutely need to add to this lens via a dioptre/teleconverter ?? etc.

    Any thoughts/advice deeply appreciated.

     

    Tanx a mill

  2. It is entirely possible to shoot H. bargibanti with a 105mm. You just need to be at minimum focusing distance, and be patient. (If you are shooting DX format) Other species will be a bit of "Where's waldo?", due to their size. It really helps to have a guide point out where the critter is, as although you see if quite clearly, parallax results in the "where the heck did it go ?" moment as soon as you put your eye to the viewfinder. That being said, please be gentle. Limit your shots as the strobes must surely be stressful...but that is a whole other thread. This is uncropped with a 105mm.

     

    Good luck; they are amazing critters.

     

    Marli

    post-1116-1295921650.jpg

  3. I use a 60mm lens and get good captures.

     

    bargibanti.jpg

     

    yellowbargibanti.jpg

     

    W-southshorepygmy-02.jpg

     

    Even my old Oly P&S got good ones

    This was a BABY bargibanti. So small I could barely see it.

     

    babybargibanti.jpg

    Edited by AllisonFinch
  4. Brilliant stuff!!

    Thanks so much gals-

    Bargibanti is the one I'm after- and I would be so awed to see one- and even more awed to pull the shutter on one.

    They are just beautiful.

    Here's hoping.

     

    Dam

     

    ps. I hear what you say re: overdoing the flash Marli.

    Be rest assured- I will respect the little guys if I am lucky enough to find them.

    :-)

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.