Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite lens port for Tokina 100 mm macro lens?

Started by Ktay1111 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite lens port for Tokina 100 mm macro lens?

3 posts
  1. Hello All. A small question from a hesitant buyer: I am interested in adding the Tokina 100 mm macro lens to my collection. However, I'm curious as to what Ikelite lens port is necessary. According to the Ikelite website, 5505.58 is what is needed. I'm concerned though because this lens (according to my understanding) extends by approximately 40 mm when focusing very close. Can the lens port handle this, and if its focusing on infinity, will I see the lens port in the image? Any help, tips, experience would be greatly appreciated.

     

    And to address the obvious response: Yes, I emailed Ikelite and the response was "We have never received negative feedback on this lens port, but we currently do not have the lens available to try it." I just want to make sure that the lens port will work perfectly.

     

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Ikelite base their port options on the maximum length. Judging from the answer, they might have even tried lens/port combinations rather then using measurements. Not on the port chart, but somewhere else, they say :

    #5505.58 Lens less than 6.1" (15.5cm). If the extended length of the lens is less then that, you should be allright.

     

    there is a very small chance that you will see the lens port at infinity, but I wouldnt worry too much when will you focus on infinity with a macro lens underwater, and the diameter of the port is pretty large, and the field of view of the 100mm lens is pretty narrow.

  3. Gerard, Thank you very much for your input. I have used Ikelite for many years and have never had complaints, but the way this lens lengthens I was a little concerned. Thank you for putting my fears to rest!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.