Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

editing program for 5Dmk2 footage

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

editing program for 5Dmk2 footage

6 posts
  1. What are the options for an editing suite on MBP i5 for edting 5Dmk2 footage. I have Vegas on my other laptops and desktop which I am familiar with, but it cant do HD so I am in the market for more software.

     

    Stew

    Edited by stewsmith
  2. What are the options for an editing suite on MBP i5 for edting 5Dmk2 footage. I have Vegas on my other laptops and desktop which I am familiar with, but it cant do HD so I am in the market for more software.

     

    Stew

     

    I use Final Cut Express and Adobe Premiere Elements both with great results. There is of course Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere if you desire higher end editing. I have had good results just using iMovie when I just want something fun to put on YouTube or share with friends and it is worth a try depending on what you are trying to do.

  3. I would either look at a basic option to start say imovie and then if you want something more professional I would make the switch to Premiere or FCP.

    I would also download the free program MPEG streamclip to convert the h264 files into something more editing friendly.

     

    It actually might be an idea to drop into an apple shop and do a FCP or Final Express course to get an idea of what you are purchasing and the differences.

  4. What are the options for an editing suite on MBP i5 for edting 5Dmk2 footage. I have Vegas on my other laptops and desktop which I am familiar with, but it cant do HD so I am in the market for more software.

     

    Stew

     

     

    +1 on MPEG Streamclip for the Mac and 5D Mark II footage. Have shot on the 5D Mark II and use MpegStreamClip to make ProRes and editing works well from there...(iMovie can do alot. Not the Final Cut Suite or Premiere, but there is alot of power in that app that can go a long way. Usually what I do when approaching a new app, programing, editing or whatever, is think of a small goal, either "Hello World" or a 30 second piece and put the software through the paces to get the goal done.)

  5. What are the options for an editing suite on MBP i5 for edting 5Dmk2 footage. I have Vegas on my other laptops and desktop which I am familiar with, but it cant do HD so I am in the market for more software.

     

    Stew

    Sony Vegas Pro has been able to do HD for years. The current release 10.0 works well with native 5Dmk2 footage. If you have a slower computer or a complex project with lots of tracks/effects then you can still transcode to an intra-frame intermediate such as Sony MXF or Avid DNxHD or Cineform.

  6. "Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy

     

    Steve

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.