Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Shooting in the Aquarium Tank

Started by philsokol ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Shooting in the Aquarium Tank

9 posts
  1. I'm traveling to Maui and have the opportunity to swim and take pics in the big display tank at the Oceanarium. They have a bunch of sharks, including a couple hammerheads and even a small tiger shark. I've never done anything like this before - I can guess there will be a lot more ambient light and maybe danger of reflection off the tank itself? Any tips or things to watch out for when shooting in this environment are greatly appreciated!

     

    Thanks,

     

    Phil

  2. In the UK we're not allowed to use flash in aquariums - which obviously has a big impact on techniques - so I'd check this first, Phil.

     

    If you are allowed to use flash - then you have lots of options - without flash it is quite constrained to high ISO and wide apertures.

     

    Alex

  3. Thanks Alex! I have an email out to them to check on using strobes...

     

    Phil

  4. .................I can guess there will be a lot more ambient light and maybe danger of reflection off the tank itself? ...............

     

    In my limited experience, aquariums are well lit for the eye, but not so for the camera when it comes to ambient light.

  5. If you can use flash, it won't reach very far through water and glass.

     

    I find it easiest to get right up to the glass, and shoot any angle but straight in, to minimize reflections and flare.

  6. I find it easiest to get right up to the glass, and shoot any angle but straight in, to minimize reflections and flare.

     

    I'm thinking that Phil is going to be inside the tank Don but he could have the same issues with flare if using strobes.

     

    Hey Phil, depending on the tank setup it might provide the opportunity to include folks in the image who are outside looking in as Alex has done. Might be fun to give some thought to how you might coordinate the models in the viewing area. You'd need someone outside helping you.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. I'm thinking that Phil is going to be inside the tank Don but he could have the same issues with flare if using strobes.

     

    D'oh. I see you are right!

     

    My Dad and I dove in the big tank at Marineland, near LA, just before they closed, early 70s. 14 foot morays, I swear!

  8. Thanks Steve, excellent idea. Having people looking in as part of the shot would be very cool. I'm not sure if we'll be in prior to the general public opening, so I guess it'll have to wait until we're actually in the tank to scope out good backgrounds. I've only been to this aquarium only once before, but my recollection is that all the fish seem to swim in a constantly clockwise direction around the tank, so that'll give some predictability and hopefully have some of the big boys come around for a couple passes.

     

    Should be a fun an interesting time!

     

    Phil

  9. Assuming you are on the inside ......

     

    The water will be much clearer than you expect, so there will be a tendancy to over exphose.

     

    Watch out for reflected glare from the windows.

     

    Exhibit Diver, Aquarium of Pacific

    post-6133-1296021380.jpg

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.