Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Seacam housing with Ikelite Strobe??

Started by Joerg Trnka ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Seacam housing with Ikelite Strobe??

6 posts
  1. Dear all,

     

    I bought recently a Nikon D7000, which I want to house for underwater. As lenses I use Tokina AF 11-16 f/2,8 ; Nikon AF Micro NIKKOR 60 mm 1:2,8D; Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm 1:1,8G

    I wanted to go for a Seacam-Prelude housing. as I own already an Ikelite DS-161 Strobe, I thought I will continue using it, but with the Seacam housing I won't get TTL. (If I am right :-))

    Is anyone using that combination? Or is it worth paying Euro 1800 for the Seacam strobe.

     

    Happy to get some suggestions.

    Thx

    Joerg

  2. Hi Joerg,

    Your trying a combo that I guess not a lot of people have yet. Maybe a note to olson@olson.cz in the Czech Rebublic or istvan.juhasz@inpho.hu in Hungary might get you an answer.

    Stephen Frink usually jumps in to help out on Seacam questions, but he may be busy putting the new issue of Alert Diver to bed this week.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Hi Joerg,

    Your trying a combo that I guess not a lot of people have yet. Maybe a note to olson@olson.cz in the Czech Rebublic or istvan.juhasz@inpho.hu in Hungary might get you an answer.

    Stephen Frink usually jumps in to help out on Seacam questions, but he may be busy putting the new issue of Alert Diver to bed this week.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Hi Joerg

     

    You are correct that you will not get TTL with your Ikelite strobe SEACAM Prelude combo. However, I shoot Canon cameras in SEACAM without TTL using my Ike DS161 and never considered it a problem. Your Ikelite strobes will work fine, aside from the TTL functionality. Great strobes.

     

    The other part of your question, is the Seaflash 150 worth it to you for the TTL? Only you can answer. It will definitely work well in TTL with your D7000. I love my Seaflash and use it almost exclusively for wide-angle. But that's all about attributes important to me: color temperature, beam angle, power, and recycle time for the kinds of things I tend to shoot. Again, TTL is not my personal criteria. If it matters to you, you'll get the TTL you desire from the SEACAM strobe and the other features will be corollary benefits.

    Edited by StephenFrink
  4. That cable also comes with a Nikonos style connector which the camera probably has.

  5. Hi Joerg

     

    You are correct that you will not get TTL with your Ikelite strobe SEACAM Prelude combo. However, I shoot Canon cameras in SEACAM without TTL using my Ike DS161 and never considered it a problem. Your Ikelite strobes will work fine, aside from the TTL functionality. Great strobes.

     

    The other part of your question, is the Seaflash 150 worth it to you for the TTL? Only you can answer. It will definitely work well in TTL with your D7000. I love my Seaflash and use it almost exclusively for wide-angle. But that's all about attributes important to me: color temperature, beam angle, power, and recycle time for the kinds of things I tend to shoot. Again, TTL is not my personal criteria. If it matters to you, you'll get the TTL you desire from the SEACAM strobe and the other features will be corollary benefits.

     

     

    Thanks for your reply. I think I will stay with the Ikelite in manual mode. Can go for Seaflash later on if I really need it.

     

    Hi Joerg,

    Your trying a combo that I guess not a lot of people have yet. Maybe a note to olson@olson.cz in the Czech Rebublic or istvan.juhasz@inpho.hu in Hungary might get you an answer.

    Stephen Frink usually jumps in to help out on Seacam questions, but he may be busy putting the new issue of Alert Diver to bed this week.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

    Thanks a million.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.