Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Nikon D7000 + what!

Started by hannahjaneb ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D7000 + what!

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I have been putting off buying an SLR underwater set up for way too long!

     

    So, I'm booking a trip to Sipadan at the end of March, and I want a new set-up by then. :P Currently I have an old Nikon D-80, but it is not very reliable any more and I don't want to take it underwater. I'm really interested in the Nikon D7000, and then what bits would I need to get? So far, I have been taking photos with an Olympus point+shoot, and really enjoy Macro photography underwater.

     

    From looking through the forums I guess a good start up might be:

     

    Nikon D7000 (body)

    60mm (or 50mm?)

    Wideangle/Fisheye (10-17 or 12-14?)

    Strobe kit (two - one will make shadows?)

    Sturdy case!

     

    Any advice on equipment; or dealer recommendations in Vietnam/Singapore/Hong Kong/Malaysia/Thailand would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Thanks, Hannah

  2. Nikon D7000, 60mm, 10-17mm, 1 or 2 strobes, up to you. Seems like a good setup.

  3. For Marco

    60mm + Port + Focus Gear (if need)

    1 strobe + FO/Syn Cable

    2 x 5" arm

    wet diopter +4/+5/+6/+8 (may be)-67mm will be cheaper choice

    Focus Light (Optional)

     

    Fro WA

    10-17mm + Zoom Gear + Dome (4"/8") + Ext Ring (some of the dome need it)

    2 x strobe + FO/Syn Cable

    2 x 5" and 2 x 8" arm

    1.4 TC (Optional)

     

    Will be perfect....

  4. Thanks cor + ckchong!

     

    ckchong - had a look at your flickr site, nice photos! do you have any companies/shops you can recommended buying gear off in Kuala Lumpur? (or elsewheres in Malaysia). I don't know anywhere in Vietnam - so may as well fly overseas to buy it!

     

    Thanks, Hannah

     

     

    For Marco

    60mm + Port + Focus Gear (if need)

    1 strobe + FO/Syn Cable

    2 x 5" arm

    wet diopter +4/+5/+6/+8 (may be)-67mm will be cheaper choice

    Focus Light (Optional)

     

    Fro WA

    10-17mm + Zoom Gear + Dome (4"/8") + Ext Ring (some of the dome need it)

    2 x strobe + FO/Syn Cable

    2 x 5" and 2 x 8" arm

    1.4 TC (Optional)

     

    Will be perfect....

  5. I'd invert CK's advice on strobes: two help avoid dark shadows in macro photography, but one works quite well to highlight the foreground of wide-angle images, with ambient light filling in the shadows: two help to spread out the light, but there's no way to light the whole frame...

     

     

    Macro, one strobe:

     

    post-4522-1296132754.jpg

     

     

    Wide-angle, two strobes:

     

    post-4522-1296132808.jpg

     

     

    The lens advice is spot on, though zoom wide-angle lenses are fussy about being behind the right port: otherwise they produce fuzzy edges away from the middle of the image. Good luck in Sipadan!

     

     

    Tim

     

    :island:

    Edited by tdpriest

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.