Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

How was this shot?

Started by urbandecaychris ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

How was this shot?

10 posts
  1. Haven't shot underwater yet but looking to recreate this look.

     

    Curious how this was shot and what gear would be needed aside from the obvious (camera, 20mm lens, and housing)? Was flash used? If so, where was it etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated from the experts!

     

    I'm shooting with a D300 atm and am shopping around for the most economical underwater housing also.

     

     

    307396.jpg

    Edited by urbandecaychris
  2. Looking at the image I would "guess" it is 100% natural light. Saying this as the skin looks to have a blue colour cast to it.

     

    The exif data says F/8 - 1/320 at ISO 100. The Flash Mode is blank. So 1/320 is above the sync speed of a 5D Mark II I believe. (dunno for sure as I don't own one :island: )

     

    Cheers

    BC

  3. I am impressed, I think thats the most help I've ever seen on an answer to a "noob".

     

     

     

    Chris: Becareful bout the " most economical housings" I dont know your shooting preference, or how you dive, but sometimes the cheapest housings limit you more then you saved.

  4. For most things, including housings, you get what you pay for.

     

    Look for a good condition used housing.

  5. So 1/320 is above the sync speed of a 5D Mark II I believe. (dunno for sure as I don't own one :island: )

     

    My 5D MkII only syncs up to 1/250th.

     

    -Gina

  6. I'd guess there was some dodge/burn involved...

  7. My 5D MkII only syncs up to 1/250th.

     

    -Gina

     

    The actual spec is 1/200th sometimes 1/160th - depends.

     

    Beautiful image. Something about it.... I'd guess available light too.

  8. The sync. speed on some Nikons can be tweaked in the menu to 1/320sec, but it does look like ambient light from above (possibly a studio reflector light). The lens is going to be something like a 15mm on a full-frame sensor or nearer to 10mm on a cropped sensor to yield an image with this sharpness that nevertheless includes the whole model.

     

    Tim

     

    :island:

  9. Just a small question... Where did you find this?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.