Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sorry to be a noob - Ikelite 12-24 port question

Started by jayelwin ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Sorry to be a noob - Ikelite 12-24 port question

8 posts
  1. So I'm looking at a 5503.51 port for my EF 17-40 and possibly a future Tokina 12-24. It seems from the photos of the port itself that there is no way to change zoom with the port on and you'd have to set a focal length and leave it? What port would allow for zoom for my 17-40?

     

    -Josh

  2. When I had an Ikelite system for my Canon 5D, I used an 8" dome port for my 16-35 lens. I was also able to use a zoom gear in order to use the zoom capabilities of the lens -- the zoom gear is a clamp and toothed ring that attaches to the lens itself, and connects to a zoom control knob on the housing. This is one, although Ikelite may sell different sizes: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/udslrclamp.html

     

    -Gina

  3. Right You will use a zoom gear and ring. a few parts that make it work.

  4. Right You will use a zoom gear and ring. a few parts that make it work.

     

    Ok so I WILL be able to zoom with that port - I'll go ahead and buy one. Thanks.

     

    What exact parts do I need to get my 30D housing and that port to zoom my 17-40, thanks.

     

    -Josh

  5. What exact parts do I need to get my 30D housing and that port to zoom my 17-40, thanks.

     

    You will need the housing for your camera, the port and the gear set. The latter is comprised of two parts, a spring-loaded sleeve that goes on the lens and a sleeve with gears that go between the port and the lens and engages the knob on the housing (don't worry, it sounds more complicated than it is). There are two different sets depending on the diameter of the lens, but Ikelite now ships both sets standard with a new housing. They are pretty cheap anyway. The 12-24 will need the large diameter one, not sure about the 17-40.

  6. The 17-40 may need a +4 diopter

  7. Zoom lenses and dome ports don't always work well together: the Nikon 12-24mm lens is very difficult to house and even "dedicated" dome ports gave fuzzy edges to images. The Tokina is a bit better, I think, but I'd take advice from someone like MCD or another established dealer.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  8. fuzzy edges to images is a result of the dome not being set up properly for the lens nodal point or entrance pupil. You can google Nodal point for more information. The normal ports are too generic to deal with this issue.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.