I'm new to SLR's and previously used an inon wideangle lens on my g2 with a Ikelite housing. I need help deciding which wideangle lens to use with my new 300d. I am planning on using the Ikelite housing. I have been researching the Sigma 12-24 vs the Canon 15mm fisheye and can't quite decide. Also, any help with lens ports would be appreciated. Thanks, Dennis.
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
Which wideangle lens for a 300d?
Started by yakimadiver ·
- 5Posts
- 5Replies
Read-only discussion
Which wideangle lens for a 300d?
-
-
Your safest bet would be to start w/ the 15mm fisheye. We KNOW it will focus behind the Ikelite dome port.
The photo community just doesn't know enough about the Sigma 12-24 yet. As you know, wideangle zooms underwater can require a special port and diopter combination. The 12-24 is not threded to accept diopters. So we can't say whether it will work in the Ikelite housing. Lens barrel and built-in-hood dimensions might make it too big to fit in Ike's ports as well.
HTH
James Wiseman
-
I'm researching the whole 300G system too.
I also saw an 8mm Sigma that was attractively priced. Isn't the 15mm Canon fisheye expensive? Also that works out to 16.6 mm, which is wide, but not especially wide UW.
This is an area that's going to take a while to work out, once the housings come out the manufacturers will have a better idea of what works. I'm just planning on getting the camera and shooting dry for a couple of months until they work it out anyway.
But that 8mm is kind of cool...
Jack
-
The 8mm is not a full frame fisheye, it is a circular fisheye.
See Tim Rock's D100 review for some samples.
HTH
James
-
Sigma makes a 15mm fisheye for Canon, though. I strongly suspect it is related to the Canon internally, if it is not entirely the same. I use it in the Nikon mount.
The 8mm is a circular fisheye as James said. It does not come very close to full frame with the crop factor. You'd end up using about 4MP of the image after the crop to get a full frame image out of it.