Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

NEX-5 4.33" dome port protection

Started by Narkedat90 ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

NEX-5 4.33" dome port protection

12 posts
  1. When clanking about on the boat with rebreather and multiple stages, big jumps from the lift and long deco's I was worried the neoprene cover wouldnt be sufficient.

    CAD - CAM - to this!

    Slight downside is the huge billet of Delrin it came from. lots of wastage from material thats £750 per metre.

     

    DSC00505.jpg

    DSC00506.jpg

    DSC00507.jpg

    DSC00508.jpg

    DSC00509.jpg

  2. When clanking about on the boat with rebreather and multiple stages, big jumps from the lift and long deco's I was worried the neoprene cover wouldnt be sufficient.

    CAD - CAM - to this!

    Slight downside is the huge billet of Delrin it came from. lots of wastage from material thats £750 per metre.

     

    Well done.. :-)

     

    Cheers,

    Cp

  3. Hey Brent,

     

    Good idea!

     

    Alex

  4. Nice job!

  5. When clanking about on the boat with rebreather and multiple stages, big jumps from the lift and long deco's I was worried the neoprene cover wouldnt be sufficient.

    CAD - CAM - to this!

     

    Great job machining!

     

    I hate that you had to grind away so much Delrin.

     

    For my little Bare ports, I found the Lens Coat Hoodie works great; they even come in different colors. Their hoodies have a piece of fairly hard 3/8" rubber pad that can be removed if necessary.

     

     

    Barry

    www.creativeillusionsphoto.com

    www.marinekeywords.com

  6. Hi Barry,

     

    which size Hoodie Lens Cap did you find best to snugly fit the shade of the Baré dome port?

     

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. which size Hoodie Lens Cap did you find best to snugly fit the shade of the Baré dome port?

     

    I use the Inon small dome cover. It snaps into place due to the shape of the neoprene so no chance of it coming off. Not as hard as these other offerings however.

    You cannot scratch the port but you could break it with a sharp blow.

    Inon dome port link

  8. Barry, I would be also interested in the item too!

  9. Hi Barry,

     

    is the XXL size a tight fit, as in will it stay on for dive entries and exits? I'm after a neoprene type cover to take with me on the dive and then

    protect the dome as I'm jumping in and climbing out.

     

    BTW been loving the Baré dome and been having fun using it with the Nikkor 18-55m VR too.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  10. BTW been loving the Baré dome and been having fun using it with the Nikkor 18-55m VR too.

     

    Thanks for that info. I have the Nexus 1017 dome. I might try the 18-5 in it and see how it works. First I will have to see if it fits.

  11. Hi Barry,

     

    is the XXL size a tight fit, as in will it stay on for dive entries and exits? I'm after a neoprene type cover to take with me on the dive and then

    protect the dome as I'm jumping in and climbing out.

     

    BTW been loving the Baré dome and been having fun using it with the Nikkor 18-55m VR too.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

    Hey Jim,

     

    I would not call it a super tight fit, but the end of the hoodie does wrap around the back of the dome port assembly. The hoodie will not fall off unless you take it off, and should work fine for entries and exits if you don't jump in with the housing in hand. The hoodie material is like a very pliable soft wetsuit.

     

    I would love to see the images you have taken, and am sure everyone else would too, especially with the 18-55mm lens. It is always nice to know a product will work with other combinations.

     

    Barry

    www.bareports.com

    www.marinekeywords.com

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.