Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

port scratches

Started by vazuw ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

port scratches

7 posts
  1. Does anyone have website for a company that sells port scratch repair kits?

  2. Assuming you mean for an acrylic (plastic) dome then Google "Micro Mesh polishing kit".

     

    How deep are the scratches? I removed some light scratches using Autoglym paint renovator (a very fine liquid cutting compound). And by light, I mean it was some hazing of the inside of the port (a gear came loose and spent a few days rolling around in there :P ).

     

    There are a few threads on here on how to do it, just have a search - but start here - Removing scratches from a dome port

     

    If it's glass, your options are limited.

    Edited by londonsean69
  3. For light scratches in acrylic, Novus polishing kit is available on Amazon, 2 oz, version for less than $10. There is also a larger 10 oz. kit

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. Agree with Steve, Novus for acrylic ports works just fine and unless they are really deep scratches they won't show in your underwater clips anyway. If your port is glass like the Fathoms ports you may have to send it back to be re-polished and that is an expensive fix.

    Steve

  5. I read that title as pork scratchings.......why is it when you're on a diet everything reminds you of food!!!!! :P

  6. I read that title as pork scratchings.......why is it when you're on a diet everything reminds you of food!!!!! :P

     

    LOL!!

     

    Another vote for Novus, I have a tiny mark on my SWP44 fathom port and the cost for a new glass front element is around $900 so definitely not a cheap option, it doesn't show though so I'll wait till I get some more :)

  7. ok, now i want some pork scratchlings too!

     

    There is another long post about this somewhere but i still reckon brasso is the best and cheapest solution out there... any mild abrasive will work.. silver / brass polish, even car wax... but the kits def seem good if it is a deep scratch as seems like it would take less time.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.