Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Leaking Recsea housing for Canon S95

Started by Dive-boarder ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Leaking Recsea housing for Canon S95

7 posts
  1. After much deliberation I recently bought a Recsea housing for the Canon S95. I also purchased Dyron wideangle and macro lenses, all from Plongimage in France. To complete the system I have a an Inon Z240 strobe and Sola 600 video light.

     

    I am currently on a 7 week diving tour of SE Asia. On my first dive with the camera in Anilao the housing flooded, destroying the camera. After dry testing the housing with no camera, all was well for a further ten dives or so.

     

    I am now on Pulau Mabul, waiting to dive Sipadan. Yesterday my housing flooded for a second time, destroying a SECOND camera. I tested it again today, with no camera (I have none left) and it flooded again.

     

    I bought the Recsea housing after studying the useful reviews on this sight. It cost over £600 and is supposed to be the best available. It has now ruined £700 worth of cameras. It would have wrecked a third.

     

    I have used it as per the instructions with respect to preparation etc.

     

    I am not a technician, but the back door appears to wobble around the hinges, and the gap between the door and the main housing is not consistent on the right hand side (near the sealing mechanism). Whatever the reason, the housing appears to be defective.

     

    I have been in email contact with Plongimage. I have just received a message from the Manager stating that they are NOT responsible for changing any goods, since they are not the manufacturer. Apparently the housing must be sent back to Japan for examination, whereupon it might be replaced if deemed to be faulty. I have not received any reply from Recsea in Japan.

     

    At the moment I am extremely annoyed and dissapointed. I understood i was buying the best product, from a reputable retailer. So here I am about to dive Sipadan, on a photographic holiday, with NO camera. Gutted would not be a fair description.

     

    Does anyone have any thoughts??

  2. Hi Martin,

    Really sorry to hear about your problems. Not much we can do but offer condolences. It would be good if you can keep us up to speed on what you find out from the manufacturer.

    Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Does anybody know, is Seatool and Recsea the same company?

  3. Hi Martin,

    Really sorry to hear about your problems. Not much we can do but offer condolences. It would be good if you can keep us up to speed on what you find out from the manufacturer.

    Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

    Does anybody know, is Seatool and Recsea the same company?

    It would seem so:

    Recsea Site Link

    Bob

  4. Hi Martin

    Can you send me a couple pictures of your open Recsea housing for the Canon S95 with the camera in side of it.

    Mr_Bill at Mailcity.com

  5. Hi Martin

    Can you send me a couple pictures of your open Recsea housing for the Canon S95 with the camera in side of it.

    Mr_Bill at Mailcity.com

     

    Of course, no problem, Internet connection speed on Mabul alloowing.. !!!

  6. Is the recsea housing clear on the back, or all over, so you can see the o-ring? Or is it opaque?

  7. Dive-boarder, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your housing. There is nothing more frustrating than a flooded camera. Especially when you have started an amazing 7 week diving tour.

     

    I'm a Recsea dealer, and I have many customers who have taken the Recsea S95 housing in the water, and none of them have had any floods. This is a very well built housing, and it is quite a mature product, Recsea made many housings under the "Fix" brand such as the FIX S90 and FIX G10 housings.

     

    I will check in with Recsea to see what they find out about your housing. I am sure your dealer will also keep you up to date.

     

    If you need another Recsea S95 housing, let me know and I will send you one at a steep discount.

     

    Scott

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.