Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

How is Galapagos 6 mths after losing UNESCO endangered status?

Started by Drew ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

How is Galapagos 6 mths after losing UNESCO endangered status?

2 posts
  1. In July 2010, UNESCO voted that the Galapagos islands would lose its endangered status as it was considered properly protected by the Ecudorian government. The BBC/Lonely Planet has an article out questioning whether the decision to remove the endangered status was premature. I wonder if they took into consideration the fishing of sharks etc. That seems to be off the table as far as I can see, which is a pity.

     

    http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20110203-tr...agos-been-saved

     

    http://goo.gl/UHNfP

    Edited by Drew
  2. In July 2010, UNESCO voted that the Galapagos islands would lose its endangered status as it was considered properly protected by the Ecudorian government. The BBC/Lonely Planet has an article out questioning whether the decision to remove the endangered status was premature. I wonder if they took into consideration the fishing of sharks etc. That seems to be off the table as far as I can see, which is a pity.

     

    http://www.bbc.com/travel/blog/20110203-tr...agos-been-saved

     

     

    The link is not any good for us folk in the UK though. I will see if I can find an alternative.

     

    Stew

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.