Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sony CyberShot DSC-TX7 underwater

Started by bondo ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony CyberShot DSC-TX7 underwater

4 posts
  1. I recently bought a Sony CyberShot DSC-TX7 underwater with the Sony MPK-THJ Underwater Marine Pack to take on trips when I didn't want a extra case full of my DSLR gear. I love the size of the setup and can live with the lower image quality, but am concerned over the inability to change modes on the camera below about 40 feet.

     

    I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or if it's a design flaw. I even tried recalibrating the rear monitor, but whenever I was below about 40 feet, I could still shoot photos, but the controls that work the touch screen on the back of the camera, seemed to be out of alignment. This meant, that I couldn't change shooting modes (change to video, turn on and off flash)

     

    My bet is that pressure is putting enough "flex" on the case to cause the issues.

     

    Just wanted to get this information out there to see if anyone has any suggestions, or if they've heard of this problem before.

     

    Thanks

    Mike

  2. It sounds like a fit thing. Maybe try seating things a bit differently. A bit of tape under one edge or something might help.

     

    I recall with a housing for a sony w-something recently, the marine case came with several different rubber inserts, for different cameras. And they were not different enough to make it obvious. But it would act weird as the case flexed differently.

     

    Is it possible you've got another set of rubber insert pads that came with this marine pack?

     

    Good luck,

  3. Don,

     

    You're right, there is also a rubber insert for the TX5 camera. But I do have the correct one installed. Upon reading the instructions, they say you need to have a desiccant pack installed in front of the camera in the housing. I'll give that a try, and that may fix the problem. The camera may have been moving forward just enough not to make contact with the buttons. Thanks for the tips!

     

    Oh, I'll also mention, in case someone searches for information about this combination in the future, that the camera has the ability to do a underwater custom white balance, but the Sony housing doesn't give you access to the button. Honestly, I don't know what some of these engineers are thinking.

     

    I haven't checked into the Ikelite housing yet to see if it does, but at this point, I love the camera for surface work, but it just doesn't work well underwater. I used to have a Olympus (I think 5050) camera with their housing and it worked wonderfully, but so far the results with this camera haven't been acceptable to me.

  4. When I searched on Sony MPK-THJ, I noticed alot of people complaining about the lack of functions underwater, but they work around it by setting everything up before closing the case.

     

    You can put it in underwater mode, or something like that.

     

    The ikelite case would probably give you every control. They usually do, anyway.. But these little micro P&S cams really do not give very good image quality, that's for sure.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.