Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upgrade to E-5 ???

Started by Dgsmith ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrade to E-5 ???

11 posts
  1. Here is a question for you E-DSLR shooters. How many of you would upgrade to the new E-5 if Aquatica or Nauticam came out with a housing for it? Nauticam would be a viable option with their port adapters so you could use those valuable ports we already have. Nexus is supposed to be coming up with a housing , but I would rather have Aquatica or Nauticam for ease of quality service and customer relations. I have thought about moving to a Nikon or Canon but keep coming back to drooling over the new E-5. The write-ups have been very good.

     

    I know I would pr-order a housing for the E-5, Question is would you.

  2. I am seriously considering this option as i already have all the glass to go with this. Using E330 currently.

     

    Nexus already has a housing for this camera, but may stick with 10 bar. They are willing to make a housing if they have the camera sent to them and cost is much cheaper. I have been very happy with the 10bar housing for the E330.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

  3. Diggy ,

    What ports do you use with 10bar? What lenses do you have now? Is the Nexus easier to find over there. Here the distributer know nothing about a new housing. Do you have a picture of your E 330 in housing? E-5 looks to be a very good camera. With its weather resistant body and lenses and fast focus. I would love to move up to it if I can get a quality housing.

     

    Dennis

     

     

    I am seriously considering this option as i already have all the glass to go with this. Using E330 currently.

     

    Nexus already has a housing for this camera, but may stick with 10 bar. They are willing to make a housing if they have the camera sent to them and cost is much cheaper. I have been very happy with the 10bar housing for the E330.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

  4. Here is a question for you E-DSLR shooters. How many of you would upgrade to the new E-5 if Aquatica or Nauticam came out with a housing for it? Nauticam would be a viable option with their port adapters so you could use those valuable ports we already have. Nexus is supposed to be coming up with a housing , but I would rather have Aquatica or Nauticam for ease of quality service and customer relations. I have thought about moving to a Nikon or Canon but keep coming back to drooling over the new E-5. The write-ups have been very good.

     

    I know I would pr-order a housing for the E-5, Question is would you.

    Have you read this review?

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/

     

    So what is the E-5? Ultimately, as we said in the introduction to this review, it is a camera aimed squarely at the Four Thirds faithful - those photographers with a solid investment in the system that can't, or simply don't want to abandon it. We suspect that this narrow band of consumers will be extremely happy with the E-5, and they should be. The E-5 is a tough and capable camera that is fun to shoot with, and makes a very agreeable companion for Olympus's excellent range of lenses. However almost a decade after the inception of the Four Thirds system, the E-5 isn't the game-changer that we always hoped Olympus might come up with.
  5. Hi Dennis,

     

    I have been shooting the Olympus E-3 in both Nexus and SeaTool housings since it came out. The lens set for the Olympus DSLR's is quite good for U/W photography. Both of these housing systems allow use of your existing Olympus, Inon and Athena ports and extensions. Not sure what Nexus site you visited, (they have several) but gears for about all lenses can be had from Nexus, I have provided a link, http://www.anthis.co.jp/ Go to the Olympus E-3 link and click the link under it ( in Japanese two small characters) for a list of gears.

     

    With limited production housings you get what you pay for and Nexus is very high quality, as are Nauticam and Aquatica. The difference is that the last are not likely to build a housing for this camera. While 10Bar makes a good entry level housing this camera deserves a quality housing.

     

    I don't known where you are located in the world but Nexus has dealers world wide. In the US, ReefPhoto.com is the east coast dealer.

     

    Phil Rudin

    Edited by Phil Rudin
  6. I think the benefits of E5 compared to E3 are mostly from areas that do not affect to much in the underwater photography high isos? video?

     

    In response to the information that I have now the two Nexus housings cost about the same, but a second hand E3 in very good condition, is about 500 $?

    In conclusion, in my humble opinion, the real choice between E3 and E5 is to have more money to better lenses and ports or better 800iso pictures and some 1/2 HD videos :D

     

    PD: Yes, I currently use a E3 with a Nexus house and am very happy :(

  7. Diggy ,

    What ports do you use with 10bar? What lenses do you have now? Is the Nexus easier to find over there. Here the distributer know nothing about a new housing. Do you have a picture of your E 330 in housing? E-5 looks to be a very good camera. With its weather resistant body and lenses and fast focus. I would love to move up to it if I can get a quality housing.

     

    Dennis

    Hi Dennis,

     

    I use the 8 mm fisheye w or w/o tele convertor, the 50mm macro with or w/out the oly 1.4x teleconvertor and also use the 18-55mm sigmaf2.8 which makes a great all purpose lens also good for fish photos. I really like the housing as it is quite compact and the sealing system is really good. I have a normal port with extension rings and a small dome. I have seen really great results with both wide angle, fish and macro pics. Will post a few this evening. Wy pay huge amounts on a housing when you can get one for 1/2 price ? Anyways thats a choice one has to make.

     

    Finally you can contact Yuzo Kanda at http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/store/home.php

     

    He has some really good prices and will give you all details on the housing, ports etc for Nexus.

     

    Here's the link for the 10 bar E330 housing....... http://www.10bar.com/new_hous-e330.htm

     

    Hope the above helps...i am not sure but maybe the E3 might be a better choice as per the other post if price is a concern.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Diggy

  8. Diggy ,

    What ports do you use with 10bar? What lenses do you have now? Is the Nexus easier to find over there. Here the distributer know nothing about a new housing. Do you have a picture of your E 330 in housing? E-5 looks to be a very good camera. With its weather resistant body and lenses and fast focus. I would love to move up to it if I can get a quality housing.

     

    Dennis

     

    Hi Denis,

     

    Here are some pics as promised.

     

    Pygmy with 50 mm macro + 1.4x tele

     

    Cat Fish and puffer tail - 50 mm macro

     

    Clown 18-50 mm sigma

     

    rest with 8 mm

    post-10236-1297269348.jpg

    post-10236-1297269388.jpg

    post-10236-1297269430.jpg

    post-10236-1297269495.jpg

    post-10236-1297269527.jpg

    post-10236-1297269778.jpg

    Edited by diggy
  9. Hi Denis,

     

    Here are some pics as promised.

     

    Pygmy with 50 mm macro + 1.4x tele

     

    Cat Fish and puffer tail - 50 mm macro

     

    Clown 18-50 mm sigma

     

    rest with 8 mm

     

    One or two more with 8 mm to show edges are pretty decent

    post-10236-1297269956.jpg

    post-10236-1297269995.jpg

  10. Diggy ,

    The pictures look very nice. Do you have a picture of the 10 bar housing for the E-330?

  11. U can find the picture on the 10 bar link I have given above Denis

     

    It's the same housing that I have. If u still want to pics of my housing I will have to tale some pics then

     

    Cheers

     

    Diggy

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.