Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

ND - Graduated neutral density filters - which one to get?

Started by haring ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

ND - Graduated neutral density filters - which one to get?

3 posts
  1. I like the look ND filters create. Which brand should I get? Is it really important to get an expensive one? Is there a visible difference?

     

    How do you use them? Do you screw them on the lens or hold it in front of the lens when you take the photo? I saw both.

     

    I am sorry about my silly questions. I have never used one.

     

    Thanks,

    Otto

  2. I like the look ND filters create. Which brand should I get? Is it really important to get an expensive one? Is there a visible difference?

     

    How do you use them? Do you screw them on the lens or hold it in front of the lens when you take the photo? I saw both.

     

    I am sorry about my silly questions. I have never used one.

     

    Thanks,

    Otto

     

    For topside use or underwater? For topside use I use various Singh-Ray filters. They are more expensive but I think they are more color neutral. I usually use a three-stop hard for sunrise/sunset landscape images and if you're going to only get one, this is a good one to start with. I also carry two and three-stop soft ND's for when I need to blend the horizon line more subtly. I use the P size filters and sometimes use them with a filter holder and other times just hold them in front of the lens.

     

    I've tried Cokin graduated ND's but think they add magenta. I know some people like Lee filters but I've not tried them. The Singh-Ray are expensive but they work great. I've not tried them underwater though.

  3. For top side, I used to use a Cokin holder and Singh Ray. I just found them last week when doing a inventory of the "room". I'll sell them to you if you like.

     

    For underwater, I have never used them. I do have a Heliopan screw on filter from before I bought the Cokin/Sing-Ray, but it's fairly useless in practice as you can't control the placement of the gradation. That why people used the Cokin/Sing-Ray setup.

     

    I'm sure it might be useful for over/unders, but I've never spent an entire dive doing over/unders.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.