Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

wide angle wet lens for 24mm

Started by derway ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

wide angle wet lens for 24mm

5 posts
  1. A while ago all the wet lenses were made for cameras with 35mm (equiv) field of view.

     

    Then they came out with some to support 28mm.

     

    Now lots of digicams provide 24mm wide angle FOV. Is there a wet lens that will work?

     

    How much CA & distortion do you get shooting a 24mm lens through a flat port?

     

    I suppose a dome port might be superior to a flat port and wet lens...??

     

    You guessed it, I'm wondering about the lx5.

  2. I've mucked around with an LX3 in an old Coolpix 5000 housing. Behind the flat port the wide angle end of the zoom - 24mm - was awful. Ugly distorted corners.

    Behind the dome port it's excellent. I'll hunt out some examples.

  3. Here's a comparison of the Lumix LX3 at 24mm behind flat and dome ports.

    Housed in an adapted Ikelite Coolpix 5000 housing.

     

    Both at f/8

     

    5472314777_3680fbc8ae_o.jpg

  4. Thanks for posting those.

     

    Did it require a diopter to get the camera to focus behind the dome? What diameter dome? Maybe it would only work at wide angle, since it seems unlikely the camera would focus closely enough at telephoto...??

     

    I guess for one thing you must have been much closer for the dome port, since the viewing angle is wider, and the target is the same size.

     

    I wonder how it would look at the same closer distances??

     

    I'm surprised many of the housing manufacturers are offering flat ports and wet lenses. Seems crazy. You'll have to zoom away from the widest, so what's the point of having this nice 24mm wide angle lens!?!??!

  5. 5476867049_5a6280e273.jpg

     

    Here's the comparison with the camera at fixed subject distance.

     

    No dioptre required behind the dome.

     

    Don't know what the dome diameter is, it's the one that was available for the Coolpix 5000 housing.

     

    I also tried macro with the flat port and the long zoom.

    Closest focus is about 35cm but with an Inon UCL-165 M67 wet macro lens that came down to about 10cm.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.