Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Spyder for calibrating monitor

Started by frogfish ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Spyder for calibrating monitor

7 posts
  1. I'm off to Singapore next week, and I plan to buy a Spyder so that I can calibrate my monitor. If only to stop the complaints from Marriard.

     

    In the past, I believed that there was no way to calibrate an LCD, but I understand that there is now a Spyder available which can be used to calibrate an LCD on a laptop computer.

     

    My computer is a Thinkpad T40 with a 1400 x 1050 pixel ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 LCD monitor.

     

    Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions for calibrating an LCD? Any warnings, advice, suggestions about which of the various Spyder models available would be most suitable would be very welcome.

     

    Robert Delfs

  2. If only to stop the complaints from Marriard.

    :D:(:unsure:

     

    I believe the differences in the Spyder versions is in the flexibility of the software. The hardware calibrates LCD monitors just fine. The Pro version comes with a license for 3 computers. I would think you'd want to calibrate your notebook and your primary machine at home (unless they are the same). I use the pro version but the regular version would do fine, I'm sure.

  3. Just make sure that you never use the suction cups on the LCD monitor, and that you do use the special baffle that is provided.

     

    If you don't use the baffle you'll most likely have trouble getting any sort of accurate calibration

     

    An LCD that has RGB controls is best.

     

    Good luck

  4. G'day

     

    I'm using the colorvision spyer pro with Optical for my monitor callibration. If you choose this brand, make sure you get the version with the optical software which does LCD, rather than the cheaper photocal software version, that doesn't.

     

    Some laptop displays will not be able to be callibrated witha spyder - I am not aware of any way of finding this out other than trying teh spyder on your particular monitor. If you're visiting Karratha, you're welcome to try mine!

  5. Spyder with LCD

    I have recently bought the version with photocal and it will do LCD as well as CRT. Although i haven't tried it on LCD as i prefer to use a larg 22" Iiyama CRT

  6. I have a feeling that the older spyders from colorvision shipped with photocal and were CRT only. The new model spyder comes with either optical and photocal, or photocal only, and will work with LCD also. It should be easy to check as the LCD compatible versions come with the weight/hanger device and the honeycomb device for using the spyder on LCDs.

     

    Despite being functional with LCDs if you have the appropriate spyder, some laptops still can not be callibrated because the monitors are not sufficiently adjustable. I spent a long time before purchasing trying to find this information on the net with regards to my laptop (COmpaq), but didn't have much luck. I ended up just buying and hoping.

  7. I've got the Spyder with Photocal, which does only have a single license. The big difference between Photo- and Opti- is that Optical allows you to calibrate to a common target somehow.

     

    In any case, Photocal works fine on an LCD, I've used with IBM and Dell laptops as well as with my home computer.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.