Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

pygmies

Started by cor ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

pygmies

8 posts
  1. I was recently looking for a specific pygmy shot, and while searching came across these shots. I had forgotten about them, although at the time I shot them (2006) I was thinking they were kinda weird. Both taken in the Solomon Islands. I can upload close ups if anyone is interested.

     

    This looks sorta like a cross between a bargibanti and a denise. It doesnt really have the body shape of a bargibanti, more that of the denise, but then it has more of the coloring of the bargibanti. Is this just an anorexic bargibanti?

     

    1188857139_n2Gvf-M.jpg

     

    And this one was weird too. Sorta like a denise, but it was on a different fan and had distinctly different colors. There were denise closeby, a few fans over, so maybe they adapt color if they happen to find themselves on a different fan? Yes, it really looked kinda orange/yellow.

     

    1188856591_Hrovn-M.jpg

     

    Probably nothing, but kinda cool anyways.

  2. Hey Cor, I will forward your photos to a specialist and ask what they think... But these guys are a nightmare!

  3. They look like Denises to me. We usually see them in the fans like the one in my avatar. However, they do adapt to other habitat soft corals if they have to, IME.

  4. They look like Denises to me. We usually see them in the fans like the one in my avatar. However, they do adapt to other habitat soft corals if they have to, IME.

     

    That was my impression too, but I sent them out to the experts anyways, will let you know.

  5. Look like denise's to me to. Very interesting. The snout length is too long for a typical bargibanti and more more typical of denise.

     

    Alex

  6. ... or maybe juvenile bargibantis that can really look similar to adult denises.

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

  7. ... or maybe juvenile bargibantis that can really look similar to adult denises.

     

    Cheers

     

    Wahrmut

     

     

    This is a TINY juvenile bargibanti I shot in Raja Ampat. Those still look like denises to me.

     

    babybargibanti.jpg

  8. Hi guys, sorry I didnt respond before. I was in the Serengeti without interwebs. Thanks for forwarding Rocha. I assumed myself that they were both denise, but in both cases the coloring is off. I expect that they adapt, like Allison says. The first one I found the most interesting as the coloring was really just like a bargibanti.

     

    The second one really stood out against the darker fan and was easy to spot from a long distance.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.