Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Sony TX7: need input from a diver who's actually used one

Started by ChrisZA ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony TX7: need input from a diver who's actually used one

4 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    I've browsed the forum a while, BUT my issue is limited availability of options in South Africa (can get camera but not housing in most cases).

    I have narrowed my choices down to Canon Ixus 300HS, Ixus 210, and Sony TX7.

     

    Here's the issue:

    My Ixus 75 was awesome. I could set white balance manually, it focused fast (I had Sea-and-Sea nightmares before this camera), flashed nicely, videos are just marvellous, and the results are very pleasing. I'd go on a Red Sea trip and after we'd combined everyone's photos, mine would dominate the final selection! And not cos I'm brilliant. The bigger rigs are great at showing a lion fish's tonsils, but otherwise there are loads and loads of missed shots and a great deal of hassle. So, I'm very biased to the Ixus experience, YET I think the Sony TX7 casing is WAY cool!

     

    So, on the Sony, I worry about 2 things and I need a diver's perspective:

    1) the limited ability to change settings underwater - namely white balance. Now, that's OK IF it actually does auto balancing nicely. Or if the underwater mode is sensible enough to not just be a snorkelling mode (as they usually are).

    2) the lack of a telescoping lens. This 4x zoom sounds fine (hell, who gets viz that great?), BUT it's hard to believe such a tiny little cell phone like lens will be OK for such valauble usage...

     

    Any thoughts would be MUCH appreciated. Perhaps u can even give me a great reason to stick with Ixus despite the tonka toy cases?

     

    Thanks in advance.

     

    UPDATE: I've been back to the shop and have settled on the TX1. The viewing screen is crappy, but otherwise it supports manual white balance within the case.

    So, anyone got insight on the TX1's results for underwater?

    Edited by ChrisZA
  2. I've been playing with the panasonic ts2 - same form factor and lens setup as the sony tx7.

     

    You definitely loose a lot of IQ, due to lens. Nice fast focus though.

     

    You can compare images from 2 cams here:

     

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

     

    I find it useful to look at the still life near the bottom, at base ISO.

    Edited by derway
  3. Thanks for that. Useful site. I was able to compare my old ixus against new sony and I now know that I am getting better than I had - which I was delighted with.

  4. ;)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.